MIDI controller assignments

civ2ru
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

I've been using my Roland RD-64 as a MIDI controller with Logic Pro 9 and now Logic Pro X successfully for years. It would always be recognized, insofar as triggering and recording various software instruments and sample libraries. But now I'm trying to program it further – to transmit specific CC# and such – and I'm finding that when I go to "Control Surfaces" -> "Preferences", my keyboard is not listed at all under MIDI Controllers. I have the latest driver and the latest firmware for the keyboard installed. How do I make Logic Pro X to fully recognize my RD-64 and allow me to assign CC#? I'm running 10.11.6 Mac OS X. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi JacobP – thank you for responding. I'm trying to send midi cc other than via sustain pedal and mod wheel, using some of the other knobs / outputs. I'm controlling a string library that has additional programmable features that require the controller to transmit specific cc#, and I don't know how to make my keyboard transmit them. I know I can use midi draw within Logic and draw them manually afterwards, but I was hoping to program them in real time. Any ideas?

When you turn your knobs on the keyboard, doesn't it transmit midi at all ? If they do, but the "wrong" cc #, it is easy to transform that midi to the cc you want in Logics Environment. If the knobs don't send midi at all, then I don't think it's possible, it all depends on your keyboard.

When I turn knobs, some signal is being transmitted. However, I don't see how I can change cc# assignment in Logic, since it doesn't recognize the keyboard in MIDI controllers. Once again, I'm trying to hear the changes in real time, as I'm playing the keyboard, rather than adjust them after the fact.

JakobP – thank you for trying to help. I don't have a problem seeing what's transmitted. Here's a specific example: when I turn one of the knobs on the keyboard, the midi cc that gets recorded is cc#71. I need it to be, for instance, cc#2 instead. And again, not changed manually after the fact, but rather re-assigned as I play in real time. How do I change that cc assignment?