HELP! Logic Pro X Sudden HUGE Audio Latency Bug

Urban Ninjz

Though I do have to say, sometime recently...not sure when but recently...My LogicPro installation also started exhibiting some strange latency issue. If I start a new project and load a simple VI, that has a built in keyboard on the GUI. Then when I try to play notes on that keyboard, there is extreme latency for no reason. If I pull up the LPX virtual keyboard or play on a real keyboard, the first note or two are delayed and glitchy and then LPX recalibrate itself and all latency is gone including from the plugin GUI.

That is not right and it never did that before recently. I've been on sierra and LPX 10.4.4 for a really long time, this is something new. Maybe Apple update did it? I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing anything like this. Seems like a bug that should be reported.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my weird issue.

I opened a completely new project to test.

Dragged MIDI file in.

Play hardware no problem.

As soon as I click on metronome, problems.

Or if I click on R on audio channel to record same problems start.

Slurred notes, missed notes, stuck notes.

All my setting should be as normal, and it's not other hardware as if I use Maschine to sequence the same synths with the same kit all is fine>

What is going on?

Any help?

Jeeeez!!!!!!

2.5 hrs on the phone to Apple.

Then uninstall, reinstall Logic.

Still the same!

With MIDI channel clicked/highlighted all good, plays external synth fine.

The minute I click on an audio track it goes nuts.

What on earth is wrong?

Any help, advise at all would be sincerely appreciated.

• 9 months later...
I suddenly have the exact same issue another user posted. I recorded a guitar track (into section only). I hit stop on the recording. I then duplicated the track to record the rest of the song. For some reason, this track was playing about a half second later than the rest of the tracks. Visually you can see it on the timeline as wrong. Once lined up it's perfect. There were no software updates or changes. From one track to the next it just started. This was about 2 minutes after I finished the intro recording to when I played the next section. I've played with tons of latency settings. If I put it to -5000 samples it looks pretty close.

I've just had some weird latency stuff going on, on a clean install of Catalina - playing software instruments, all ok, until hitting record, then horrible latency on whatever it was I was playing, any soft instrument I tried. turning off 'plug in latency compensation' solved it for me... hope this helps if anyone here ends up on this thread too in future.

My issue was on fresh projects. Playing software instruments with nice low latency settings on a new Mac Pro, all good, until I started recording, then a horrible delay to whatever I was playing. turned off latency compensation and problem gone. slightly different to OP but it was a weird situation.

fresh projects with no plugins on any AUX or OUTPUT channels, right?

no - template with other plug ins about etc & aux channels. most greyed out as not activated and in use yet though. it was a latency issue that I never had previously on Mojave. if there's something you want me to test I can - was just reporting what solved a strange latency issue I was having that have not had previously & thought may be related & helpful. I am not the OP of this thread - I ended up here while trying to diagnose my own latency related issues. are you still having problems?

the latency issue I had is not present when starting a clean track with no template - ie just one instrument, no auxes etc.

loaded up an older v busy project, and not having delay compensation on turned it into a clusterfuck train wreck - and turning it off on that didn't solve the lag like it had before...

back to square 1 I guess.

im on a clean install of Catalina on a Mac Pro 7,1. will see how I get on on as I work on some new projects and report back.

the bizarre thing was even with low latency mode turned on for recording I was getting horrible lag on recording software instruments. on new songs (started from a template though). no plug ins active on final output obviously. anyway will report back with any progress if it becomes too much and I work on diagnosing it more...

you lost me a little bit there in your description with some double negatives...but anyway, AUX channels with latency will cause ALL other channels to be delayed. That has always been the case for years. If that is not the thing causing you problems, then perhaps its a bug in Catalina and you can report it to Apple, but I suggest you identify for sure you are not running into problems created by AUX channel plugins with latency. (ie, pilot error)

Low latency mode doesn't always disable all AUX channel plugins, so sometimes you may have to change the PDC preference to get through an issue, but generally its a good idea to track without using any latent plugins on your AUX or OUTPUT channels. Save those for mix down phase, but while recording tracks, they wreak a lot of havoc. If you turn on PDC, then the track you're trying to record will be delayed a lot. If you turn off PDC, then all the other tracks you aren't trying to record to will be unsynchronized...which could be even worse. There is an in between setting for PDC also, which sometimes might help you, but in the end its just easier to avoid using any latent plugins on your AUX or OUTPUT channels while recording any tracks.

thanks - I'll have another session and remove any plug ins from aux and final output channel to see if that makes a difference - there's definitely something funny going on with catalina as i didnt have this probem before on mjave with the same template. apologies - am just tyiping quickly here so sorry if previous posts not oproperly clear - was just trying to help a bit as thought id found a solution previously overlooked. cheers have a good one.

I have also been hearing reports about people having Catalina problems with their sound card. So that is also not out of the question. Make sure the driver for your sound card is officially supporting catalina. I'm just trying to eliminate other possibilities first. Its quite common for people to run into problems related to Aux channel plugins causing unexpected results.

• 1 month later...

I just had this problem.

I was using the Hype Mix mastering setting on the output track. I had all plugins off, which is weird.

I usually use Hype Mix.

Anyway, I tried many things, turning off plugins, unplugging interface, etc.

When I changed Hype Mix to Hip Hop, the delay stopped. But when I change back to Hype Mix, the delay reappears.

Weird.

But the fix is to change the Output track settings.

I am using a Line 6 HX Stomp (USB) as input device and my Presonus Quantum 2 (Thunderbolt) as output device in Logic. I have recently experienced some very bad latency issues, too. When monitoring my input signal through guitar amp plugins I suddenly get a really bad latency up to approx. 500 ms. Sometimes it‘s not there, then suddenly it appears out of nowhere. Sometimes it helps to reload the project, sometimes not. However, it does not appear when I only use the Quantum.

This problem has only recently arisen. I have been using the HX Stomp for several months and never had any problems before. And there haven‘t been any driver updates for the HX Stomp or updates for the guitar sim plugins, which could have caused the issue. I suspect that the most recently released macOS update caused a problem with USB audio.

• 4 months later...
I too am having this problem.....I'll be recording away or simply monitoring my guitar and then a massive latency (approx 500ms) and a delay effect - even though there's no delay effect. This is a 3 month old iMac with Catalina 10.15.6 and Logic Pro X 10.5.1 and it's started from the day I began using it. I'm using a Behringer x18 interface via USB. I've spent nearly two hours on the phone with Apple Support. We tried different projects, different user profiles, different tracks...nothing fixed it. I changed my USB lead, I've updated the X18's firmware and I've even rebooted.....5 million times....ok - that's an exaggeration and it does fix it.....but only initially - the problem returns and I can't reboot mid-recording so it's not a usable workaround. It doesn't appear to record the 500ms latency but it's virtually impossible to record with. I changed my interface to a Zoom H4N and it hasn't happened since. Once I told the Apple tech about the Zoom he closed my call saying it was a Behringer problem.......from this forum the common denominator seems to be Logic Pro X.....if anyone's found that fix, I'll be your besty for ever.....I'm disappointed in my investment so far. Suffice to say, it doesn't appear to be a version problem of the OS or the app, or the device (the H4N has two inputs, the X18, 18 inputs, so the H4N is not a solution for me). Nothing on Behringer forums I can find. Appreciate any ideas beyond what's been suggested in this thread.

...they do...it's my back up to lpx...and likely successor...(sigh)...it's not bug free, but at least the issues are acknowledged and discussed...the giant Sphinx of apple is a silly bit of business in the modern world, we all know where the troubles are and apple pretends like everything is "ok"...(sigh)...//s~