Audio/time manipulation

Osamasmamasbinlazy

Hey just a quick question- i am new to logic and i was talking to someone who said that they were recording on a protools setup(this guy is kind of a munch who does not pay attention to detail-like what was the version what was the hardware?) and he described a situation that sounded like quantization of auido? He said he played a fill that was not sitting right with the time but through protools was able to adjust this- again this was an audio file-not midi- can logic do this???

thank u

He was probably refering to Pro Tools' "Beat Detective" function.

There are several ways to do this in Logic. You can do it by hand, editing on the attacks, quantizing the newly chopped audio regions and then using crossfades to glue back the regions together. In that case you will not timestretch any of the audio and retain the original tone.

Or you can use the Apple Loops, which will use a Time expansion/compression algorythm to make the transient stick to the tempo grid of your song.

I have just spent a few weeks editing a whole album worth of drums in Logic, and now everything is tight! So yes, you can definitely do it.

He was probably refering to Pro Tools' "Beat Detective" function.

There are several ways to do this in Logic. You can do it by hand, editing on the attacks, quantizing the newly chopped audio regions and then using crossfades to glue back the regions together. In that case you will not timestretch any of the audio and retain the original tone.

Or you can use the Apple Loops, which will use a Time expansion/compression algorythm to make the transient stick to the tempo grid of your song.

I have just spent a few weeks editing a whole album worth of drums in Logic, and now everything is tight! So yes, you can definitely do it.

What is your approach to doing this in Logic? I use PT beat detective and I have been unable to find a decent way to edit 10 drum tracks simultaneously the way I can using beat detective. How did you do it?

Do you create an edit group, manually chop on each snare-kick or whetever, open event list, highlight all 10 newly chopped tracks, quantize that hit, then repeat for each hit.

That's the only way I've tried it.

That's almost it. What I do is create all my edits first, one by one, by hand, cutting the regions where the attacks are. Then I open the event editor and quantize all of the regions at once. Back to the Arrange window, I make sure ALL the regions are selected and drag the left corner a little before the attack. Then "Tie Regions By Length Change" [ Option + Shift + Tab ], then in the parameter box (top left of the Arrange Window) add X Fades to ALL regions at the same time.

Then listen, soloing each track (or at least kick, snare, HH and Overheads, Toms if you use them), and look for double attacks. If you see/hear one, drag the left corner a little more to the left and re-Tie By Length Change.

Tip: For cymbals, Overheads and HH, shorter fades (as short as 1) work much better. For the other tracks, choose fades lengths of 6 to 20.

That's almost it. What I do is create all my edits first, one by one, by hand, cutting the regions where the attacks are. Then I open the event editor and quantize all of the regions at once. Back to the Arrange window, I make sure ALL the regions are selected and drag the left corner a little before the attack. Then "Tie Regions By Length Change" [ Option + Shift + Tab ], then in the parameter box (top left of the Arrange Window) add X Fades to ALL regions at the same time.

Then listen, soloing each track (or at least kick, snare, HH and Overheads, Toms if you use them), and look for double attacks. If you see/hear one, drag the left corner a little more to the left and re-Tie By Length Change.

Tip: For cymbals, Overheads and HH, shorter fades (as short as 1) work much better. For the other tracks, choose fades lengths of 6 to 20.

Thanks. That seems a bit more tedious than using Beat Detective but effective non the less.

What exactly does "Tie Regions By Length Change" do?

Yes, it is definitely tedious. There is another way which is faster involving Strip Silence (I can explain if you are curious), but I like the manual way better.

What exactly does "Tie Regions By Length Change" do?

Simply adjust the length of a region so its end is exactly where the next region starts: tie both regions by changing the first one's length.

• 1 year later...
Back to the Arrange window, I make sure ALL the regions are selected and drag the left corner a little before the attack. Then "Tie Regions By Length Change" [ Option + Shift + Tab ], then in the parameter box (top left of the Arrange Window) add X Fades to ALL regions at the same time.

Ok, I don't quite see how this works. The tie regions command doesn't bring the regions totally together and I don't see the X-fades command in the parameter box.

Thanks.