Selling Logic Pro 9 easily?

beelzebomb
Go to solution Solved by simon.a.billington,

I'm on OSX 10.9.5 and using Logic Studio 9 (from the box, not a download) - I also have the upgrade box 'Logic Studio V2.0 Upgrade Pro' box.

It's time to upgrade my Mac & realise I will finally need Logic Pro X. I realise this is a 'stand alone' product & not an upgrade, so some questions for those with experience of doing so, as I realise that once I upgrade OSX I won't be able to load Logic Studio 9 anymore:

• Can I safely sell Logic Studio 9 & the upgrade? Or does the serial number etc carry over?

• As it won't be usable once I upgrade my OSX, do I need to de-register anything Logic-wise on my Mac before I upgrade the OSX?

• Is it advisable to sell Logic Studio 9 and the upgrade separately or together?

• Will there be full compatibility with Logic X for existing song folders (I won't have to reassign each instrument/sample?)

Thanks

Compatibility issues on projects have been caused by out of date 3rd party plugins, in my case. Logic Pro X doesn't seem to like Amplitube 3, so LP9 projects with that will boot with the message that A3 can't be used. I'm not sure when this started happening, or whether it just happens to LP9 projects with 32 bit selected, or not.

I am considering deleting LP9 from my computer, but have to go through my old projects, first.

Yes, I realise it may not be a great investment for anyone looking to buy Logic, but I'd like it to go to a good home where someone will get some use out of it for a bit. But no-one has answered my main point - do I have to de-register 9 while I am still on old OSX while it can still load up?

From what I remember, Logic 9 authorisation was activated by the serial number on the box. The link to App Store purchase was introduced with Logic X, so you should be alright to sell it with the box. There may have been an option to register online for support but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t affect the authorisation on any particular machine. Apple never seemed over zealous about copyright protection - as many have pointed out before, their software requires Apple hardware to function and that’s where the profit lies.

I’ve seen Logic 9 Studio selling for about £50 - £60 last time I noticed. I think there’s a fair chance someone with an older OS would welcome buying it, perhaps even only for the additional software in the package, but that’s conjecture on my part, of course. I can’t see any advantage in selling the upgrade as a separate item.

Thanks. My main concern is someone buying it and I've failed to do something somewhere that stops them being able to use it. Yes, about 60 quid is the most I would expect I think these days. I won't moan about having to re-buy Logic (there's been enough of that elsewhere!) but buying up S/H discounted iTunes gift cards can ease the total cost a bit.

You could gift it to some talented kid. That is what I would do. Parenthetically, I discovered that my Amplitube 3 in LPX issue was caused by LP9 projects in 32 bit mode. Your purchase of LPX is completely independent to prior purchases, so no worries there. Whatever you do, I hope it brings happiness to the recipient.

Compatibility issues on projects have been caused by out of date 3rd party plugins, in my case. Logic Pro X doesn't seem to like Amplitube 3, so LP9 projects with that will boot with the message that A3 can't be used. I'm not sure when this started happening, or whether it just happens to LP9 projects with 32 bit selected, or not.

I am considering deleting LP9 from my computer, but have to go through my old projects, first.

Amplitube 3 is 32-bit, Logic X is not. It requires upgrading. On the plus side IK regularly puts the upgrade on sale, might want to watch out for that.

Even so, they install as different plugins, so they don’t interchange with Amplitube 3 automatically. That’s going to be a huge pain to open older projects. Perhaps there is a trick I’m not aware of.

• Solution
From what I remember, Logic 9 authorisation was activated by the serial number on the box. The link to App Store purchase was introduced with Logic X, so you should be alright to sell it with the box. There may have been an option to register online for support but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t affect the authorisation on any particular machine. Apple never seemed over zealous about copyright protection - as many have pointed out before, their software requires Apple hardware to function and that’s where the profit lies.

I’ve seen Logic 9 Studio selling for about £50 - £60 last time I noticed. I think there’s a fair chance someone with an older OS would welcome buying it, perhaps even only for the additional software in the package, but that’s conjecture on my part, of course. I can’t see any advantage in selling the upgrade as a separate item.

Yes the computer IS the dongle in a manor of speaking.

Amplitube 3 works fine in LPX. The only issue I've had is loading a LP9 32 bit project in LPX. If I change the project to 64 bit, then load it into LPX, or instantiate A3 in a new project, it works fine. I also have A4, but my older projects, of course, did not.

A3.thumb.jpeg.c13043a29313c25efdd73560886a85cc.jpeg

Amplitube 3 works fine in LPX. The only issue I've had is loading a LP9 32 bit project in LPX. If I change the project to 64 bit, then load it into LPX, or instantiate A3 in a new project, it works fine. I also have A4, but my older projects, of course, did not.

Oh right. That has got to be a pain. I guess there is no way around this issue then.

This problem may become even more troublesome in Mojave, since Apple isn’t guaranteeing 32-bit compatibility. The OS after that will be 64-bit only, as I was alluding to earlier.

So this problem is only going to get worse for you

Simon, A3 was both 32 bit and 64 bit. Therefore, which mode it was in was dependent upon the LP9 project, which could be switched from one to the other in the info box. So, LPX is not running anything in 32 bit mode. IKMultimedia ran into a s$$t-storm a while back for not upgrading Sampletank 2 to 64 bit, but A3 didn't have this issue, fortunately. So, whatever the case may be, I am not worried about 32 bit compatibility. I've already burned that bridge with all of the software I am ever going to buy. :)

Anyways, these days, I either use Scuffham Amps, or a real VOX AC15. :)

Simon, A3 was both 32 bit and 64 bit. Therefore, which mode it was in was dependent upon the LP9 project, which could be switched from one to the other in the info box. So, LPX is not running anything in 32 bit mode. IKMultimedia ran into a s$$t-storm a while back for not upgrading Sampletank 2 to 64 bit, but A3 didn't have this issue, fortunately. So, whatever the case may be, I am not worried about 32 bit compatibility. I've already burned that bridge with all of the software I am ever going to buy. :)

Anyways, these days, I either use Scuffham Amps, or a real VOX AC15. :)

Haha!! Yeah I get ya.

The arranger/producer side of me still prefers DI guitar so I have the flexibility to shape the tone as I go. It’s the same reason why I opt to Freeze tracks instead of Bounce, wherever possible. It’s a method that works really well for me.

I’ve got to say I’m really getting into the Waves ORS Supermodels lately myself.

https://www.waves.com/plugins/prs-supermodels