Use volume envelope of an audio track to create a volume automation on another track

stormy

I have a very weird request. I need to "extract" the volume envelope of a track (which is a sine wave recorded in audio) and have Logic create an automation curve from it.

Then, I can apply the same volume changes to another track, which will be another sine wave recreated in Logic with EXS24 (according to this post viewtopic.php?t=10368).

Any way of doing this, with audio or MIDI, will do. I don't know if there's something that could use the original track as a sidechain and increase/decrease volume with it.

- route a channel with a test oscillator plugin to a bus

- grab this bus with two Auxes

- put a Gain plugin into one of the Auxes and flip its phase. The tone will disappear

- put a Compressor plugin into one of the Auxes and set its sidechain to the track with the recorded source tone

This way, any sound on the source track will create a volume difference on the Auxes and thus lift the test tone up from full cancellation, by the amount of the source track's volume.

QED

Christian

• 4 years later...
On 10/11/2018 at 11:57 AM, fuzzfilth said:

- route a channel with a test oscillator plugin to a bus

- grab this bus with two Auxes

- put a Gain plugin into one of the Auxes and flip its phase. The tone will disappear

- put a Compressor plugin into one of the Auxes and set its sidechain to the track with the recorded source tone

This way, any sound on the source track will create a volume difference on the Auxes and thus lift the test tone up from full cancellation, by the amount of the source track's volume.

QED

Christian

Hi. I have the same need. I half understand your reply but I sense it would do what I want! Could you please elaborate on “grab with two Auxes”? Thanks

I have to retrace my thoughts for this from five years ago.

But the more I think about it, I would do it differently now:

- Put the Region which should be modulated by another Region's volume on Track 1
- Put the Region which should modulate the other Region's volume on Track 2
- Set Track 2's output to No Output
- Set Track 1's output to Bus 1. This will create an Aux with Bus 1 as Input.
- Create a second Aux and set it to the same Bus. The sound from Region 1 will increase by 6 dB.
- Put a Gain plugin into one of the Auxes and flip its polarity. The sound from Region 1 will disappear
- Put a Logic Compressor plugin into one of the Auxes and set its Sidechain In to Track 2
- Use the Platinum Digital mode on the Compressor, Ration 30:1, Makeup 0, Attack + Release as short as possible, Threshold around -30, depending on Track 2's content.

Edited by fuzzfilth
  • Like 1