Environment files for older instruments/modules

UnAsked4
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

I am very new to Logic Pro X, but I want to control some "legacy"? equipment with Midi.

I'm looking for environment (LSO?) files for the following:

Yamaha S90 Es

Proteus 2000 with composer Rom

Roland Jv-1010 with bass-&-drums expansion card

If such files can't be had, does software exist to build them?

Thanks,

UnAsked4

I've checked in all my archives but couldn't dig up anything related to your modules. Maybe some patch lists are still floating around on the net.

Basically, you create a Multi Instrument in the Environment, then double-click that Multi-Instrument's header (gosh, I haven't done this in like 20 years). There you can enable different banks, according to your module. Then, you paste lists of 127 preset names for each bank. Finally, you select the format of the bank change command (usually it's cc32).

From then on, you can use the Multi Instrument as the track instrument in the main window and choose bank nr and preset name from the instrument inspector on the left.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe my good luck in finding this thread, I just dusted off my old JV 1010 (last used c. 2001) and am trying to graduate from Garage band to Logic (formerly a digital performer user). Thank you for this information!!!

I wanted to post this other thread here too for newbies like me, it has more info on this topic:

Thank you @fuzzfilth!

• 4 years later...

Thank you David. It's been a while since I last visited here...I'm not sure when I have time for this but I already found some youtube video about this issue but thought that I could save some time and nerves if someone got one....  I will post again if (when) I'm stuck with it. 😉

• Like 1

Thanks again David. I was actually looking this data list earlier today but it not clear to me what parameters i need to add to that "custom midi messages" table (or what ever it's called...not in front of Logic now) I'll have to dig deeper into this in the next few days and probably ask your help. 😊

32 minutes ago, iMacCartney said:

I'll have to dig deeper into this in the next few days and probably ask your help.

Sure. Basically you select the multi-instrument in the MIDI Environment, then choose Options > Define Custom Bank Messages. In the window that pops up you can define the Bank MSB and Bank LSB messages that you see in the data list for each bank number. 

But don't hesitate if you need further details. 

All the preset banks are done, 11 banks in total. Had to remove all the blank lines between preset names so it took a while. Now have to decide whether or not do the user presets one by one, huh! 

Question; is there a way to see bank and program name in main window's inspector? (see the picture) Now I can only see those in the environment window when the multi instrument is selected...

Näyttökuva 2023-4-30 kello 18.49.27.png

Congratulations! Can you share your work with us? I'm sure that could help someone else with that same synth... If you're willing to share it, do it in the MIDI Environment forum: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forums/forum/5-logic-pro-amp-mainstage-templates-and-environments/ Thanks! 🙂 

The bank name is the name of the first program in that bank. 

You can see the program name in the Inspector when you have an external instrument track selected. To create the tracks, you can drag the multi-instrument from the MIDI Environment below the track headers. Then you can also double-click the track icon to pop up that program name window. 

Screen Shot 2023-04-30 at 6.19.08 PM.png

Thanks. So if I want to see the bank / program numbers in the inspector, I always have to drag multi instrument from the environment....and when selecting new instrument using + button and ext. instrument, there is no way get this bank / program view to show up?

And how do I save this? As a template? Is there a way to save just multi instrument and load it to an other projects?

Edited by iMacCartney

4 hours ago, iMacCartney said:

when selecting new instrument using + button and ext. instrument, there is no way get this bank / program view to show up?

Yes yes, it's the same. In fact that's what I did in the screenshot I shared in my previous post. Just make sure you choose External Instrument as the track type, like this: 

Screen Shot 2023-04-30 at 11.53.23 PM.png

And how do I save this? As a template? Is there a way to save just multi instrument and load it to an other projects?

No, you can't save just a multi-instrument, you have to save it in a template. You can however import an environment layer from one project to another. 

And one more question...now with an ext. instrument selected this lower part of the inspector looks weird. Is that how it supposed to be?

Yes. That's an external MIDI track channel strip.