How do I see all inputs from my interface in the Mixer?

tsachs
Go to solution Solved by Dewdman42,

I want to see all 20+ inputs of my Apollo in Logics Mixer when i press x and select the inputs tab. I know that I have to create an object for each input in the environment.

Is there a way to automatically create an input for each available input on my device? Must this be done in the environment or is there a newer way to do this. I've been in Logic since Logic 4 and somethings have been updated. Thanks!

as far as I know the only way is in the environment. In older versions of LogicPro, the INPUT channel was exposed more, but in the newer versions, its kind of considered an outlier thing to use, most people never touch the INPUT channel strips. They would use AUX channel strips instead and accomplish the same thing. But I still like using INPUT channels occasionally, so I feel your pain.

In any case, I don't know of any way to automatically create them or to create more then one at a time, just the good ol' environment new mixer channel menu command which you'd have to execute 20 times to set it up for all 20 inputs on your device.

Make a template.

1/ Add 16 tracks (at one time) using the normal method ( select ascending)

2/ Project Settings-> Audio->Channel strips - uncheck automatic management of channel strips.

3/ Delete the 16 tracks in the arrange window

4/ the 16 channels in the mixer remain with each representing a different input.

723435557_mixerinputassignment.thumb.gif.1f3eb868ff3c17b44e9b29b452865641.gif

Yea - thank you. It wasn't clear (to me) exactly what he wanted.... I was trying to avoid using the input CS. As another option he could keep them as audio ( created the way I described ) record enable them and instead of deleting the tracks hide them. Other than printing or processing in advance of arriving in the sequencer -Why would he need input channel strips ? Below are two audio and two inputs tied receiving the same signals....Obviously if he is trying to preprocess the signal prior to arriving in the seq - then the input CS is the only way to go. Thanks FF

956677884_audiovsinputCS.gif.fed146acc1d6c25a3ece672ee4cd6cec.gif

I want to see all 20+ inputs of my Apollo in Logics Mixer when i press x and select the inputs tab. I know that I have to create an object for each input in the environment.

Is there a way to automatically create an input for each available input on my device? Must this be done in the environment or is there a newer way to do this. I've been in Logic since Logic 4 and somethings have been updated. Thanks!

Can we ask what is your reason for it?

Do you want to print the effects you put on it?

I can't speak for him, but let's say he wants to use the Apollo Console for direct hardware monitoring, so he turns off Software Monitoring in LPX. But he still wants to also hear some Logic Software FX in the monitor while recording.. one way to do that is to use an INPUT channel in order to get the input feed and bus it through and AUX channel for software fx monitoring...even though LPX has Software Monitoring turned off.

Maybe he just wants to be able to see all the inputs with pretty LED's to see where the sound is coming from?

Could be other reasons besides needing to add FX to the source before recording to the sequencer, though that is a valid use case also.

Dewdman - exactly, all of the above. One of things I wanted to do was record one input and print an effect. The other is to capture two audio files from one input so that my recorded audio files would be slightly off...I know that can be done with bussing after the fact. But, I have some creative reasons I want to track and have it stored instantly in the files.

One great thing about Ableton Live and Studio One is that when you are setting up a new file or creating a new routing for creative purposes, the drop down menus have audio activity meters so its easy see exactly were the audio is entering the DAW before selecting the input.

I just wish it were easier to automate sequential objects in the environment. Seems like there was an "Apply serial"...or something like that which would allow for setting inputs sequentially. Maybe that was Logic 4/5 back in the day. Its been a while since I needed to be in the environment. I was hoping to avoid spending half the day setting up templates. I already have plenty of templates form Logic 6-9 and Logic ProX needs to recreate them all...sometimes this works well.

I tried to create a layer of nothing but inputs..but for some odd reason Logic created new inputs and forced them into the Mixer layer.

THANKS !!!