Midi Note Velocity-change all notes at same time

Freis968
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I cannot change ALL of my MIDI notes velocity to the same velocity at one time. With hundreds of notes this is one heck of a time consuming affair to do it one note at a time.

How do you do it? I select all the notes and then the volume slider will not move up to the volume I want it at.

As an example...I want all the notes to be at a velocity of 89 and the slider won't move past 68.

I cannot change ALL of my MIDI notes velocity to the same velocity at one time. With hundreds of notes this is one heck of a time consuming affair to do it one note at a time.

How do you do it? I select all the notes and then the volume slider will not move up to the volume I want it at.

As an example...I want all the notes to be at a velocity of 89 and the slider won't move past 68.

That means your lowest velocity is at 22, and you cannot drag it past 1 (which makes sense).

The slider you say... in which editor are you doing this?

If it is this slider in the piano roll:, just option-shift-dragging should do it. This will equalize all velocities the moment you start dragging). (I start with trying just dragging, which doesn't work - then I hold down the option and shift keys)

option-dragging will change all velocities, but keep their relative differences (unless you go past their minimum or maximums)

option-shift dragging will equalize all velocities the moment you click the slider.

2113327027_Optionshiftdragtheslider.gif.5bec3d0bc42a9ff0b2f77f33bafa3314.gif

Hold down Option-Shift while dragging the Velocity slider.

This immediately changes all midi notes to the same velocity

Correct me if I'm wrong but this a better faster way to

select Functions

Select Midi Transform

Select Fixed Velocity

Set Velocity

Click Select and Operate.

(You've just saved me precious minutes of my life)

You're not wrong, the option-shift slider method is faster. You can employ the same option-shift method in the Event Editor: just select all events in that editor, and option-shift-drag one of the velocities. Same result.

For me, I find Command + Control then Option Shift method to be faster, eliminates the need to move my cursor to the Velocity slider and both my hands stay put where they are.

The Option + Shift slider method or even going into the Event Editor is still going to be faster than using MIDI Transform though. Unless you're using a MIDI Transform User preset configured to fix all velocities to a certain value (127, 80, etc) and then just hitting a single key command to do this. I actually do have a MIDI Transform User preset which changes all velocities to 127 with a single key command, so I guess this would be the fastest method out of them all.

• 1 month later...
For me, I find Command + Control then Option Shift method to be faster, eliminates the need to move my cursor to the Velocity slider and both my hands stay put where they are.

Completely agree. In fact in most cases that's what I do myself. But I know I'm a modifier/keyboard shortcut nerd, and for many beginners who can't tell the Option key from the Control key from the Command key it can sound like a complicated process.

So to describe the process with as much detail as possible:

Hold down Command-Control and click and hold down the mouse button. While holding down the mouse button, release Command-Control and hold down Option-Shift while you drag the mouse vertically.

• 4 years later...