Problem with capturing MIDI data

thomaskyhn

Has anyone else had problems when capturing MIDI data (using the MIDI FX Freeze plugin or the IAC Driver/external instrument method)? I get errors – excessively long notes – almost every time, and I can't figure out what's causing the problem. It happens even in projects that contain no automation and no other MIDI effect plugins than MIDI FX Freeze. I've tried deleting Logic's plist file, audio units cache, and starting from scratch with an empty project, but the problem persists.

I've looked for other ways of capturing MIDI data, but haven't been able to find any. If anyone knows of one, I'd be happy to know about it.

(Logic Pro X 10.4.4 on macOS 10.14.4.)

Extremely long notes can and does happen.. I get it occasionally just when Logic is playing a lot of tracks and recording MIDI.. I'm 'GUESSING', Logic is busy processing something, when the note off comes in, and it gets overlooked.. You can adjust length by hand, or use 'Function' command to pick long notes and set all long notes to a desired length in one step.. An inconvenience, but this has been something that pops up in Logic for years, usually pretty rare.

I don't use MIDI FX Freeze but have used IAC busses in the past and never had that problem. I'm not sure where it's coming from. If you have a project where you can repeatedly reproduce this behavior, attach it here with detailed instructions on how to reproduce so one of us can have a look.

That would be a great help.

Here's an example – a project with two tracks, each with an instance of the MIDI FX Freeze plugin and an instance of EXS24. When I attempt to capture the region in the two tracks simultaneously, the problem occurs. (This setup is only meant to reproduce the problem; in other scenarios there would, of course, be no point in capturing MIDI data similar to what you already have.)

I've included the MIDI FX Freeze plugin in the zip file.

Steps to reproduce:

* open both MIDI FX Freeze plugins

* click the big circular button, so that (part of) it turns red (in order to prepare it for capturing MIDI data)

* play back the regions in the project from bar 1 to 20

* drag the captured MIDI files from MIDI FX Freeze onto any track to see the result

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2qn0dukblillyv/Test.logicx.zip?dl=0

I've once tested the MIDI FX Freeze plugin and noticed similar problems.

In my experience it's just unusable.

Also, the download page seems not available anymore.

Yes, the developer seems to have disappeared.

I've used it a lot earlier without any problems; I'm not sure what has happened. Perhaps it's become incompatible with Logic; or Logic has a bug.

I don't use MIDI FX Freeze but have used IAC busses in the past and never had that problem. I'm not sure where it's coming from. If you have a project where you can repeatedly reproduce this behavior, attach it here with detailed instructions on how to reproduce so one of us can have a look.

That would be a great help.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant I'm willing to test a project that showcases the issue using IAC busses, no MIDI FX Freeze plug-ins.

• 1 year later...
its not free anymore I see. Last time I tried it, it was pointed out to me that it does not capture all midi events correctly, only notes; not CC for example...something like that. I can't remember the details now, there are some threads about it if you search around. I used to recommend it emphatically but I can't recommend it again until its confirmed they have fixed all those issues. Maybe its better now but I don't wanna pay for it unless I know it's fixed.

So here's the thread where people discusses some issues with MidiFXFreeze, it wasn't as I said above about CC events not being recorded....at least for me...but rather that the midi timing was not accurate.... sample accurate positioning of midi events was not retained in the tests I did.

I'd love to find out you have fixed that sort of stuff, but I don't wanna pay to find out.

Glad to hear that you intend to support it now as a commercial product though..it could be useful.

• 2 years later...