Dragging regions up and down and not horizontally

Jordo

I have been Googling this for two days with no luck.

I've seen multiple threads here about this but the only response I see is to hold or press shift (I've tried every possible way) while dragging the regions up or down. This does not work. I have no idea if this is outdated advice or what but it is not working for me. When I press shift or hold shift while dragging, everything still moves horizontally. And pressing shift DE-SELECTS a region when I click on it.

Can anyone tell me how to drag regions up or down while keeping them locked in place horizontally? This is something I do constantly in my workflow and I was really hoping a simple google search would tell me this, I'm shocked it doesn't, unless I'm dumb and missed something.

I may need to include a link to a video to show it is not working.

I press shift and it doesn't let me select the region. If I click on the region FIRST and then click shift, it de-selects the region and you see like a square being outline by the pointer in Logic.

If I then click on the region again while holding shift and manage to move it, it still moves left or right with a slight slip of my mouse. But mostly clicking shift totally deselects what I am trying to select. What can I possibly be doing wrong here?

Just a maybe... You also have to click (Shift) and hold the region until it *kind of* blinks and then you can drag. If you press Shift and then drag too quickly it deselects the clip.

I've never seen this behavior.

Here's the expected behavior for the Shift key:

Click the region and hold down the mouse button. You can start dragging or not. While you hold or drag, press and release Shift: dragging it locked. While you continue holding or dragging, press and release Shift: dragging is unlocked. You can toggle the behavior as many times as you want that way as you're dragging a region.

Well if I was bothered I'd do a video but I'm not... I'm sure your reply helps the OP though! :)

I should add that *kind of* blinks means it just flashes once and then I can move the region either up/down or horizontally. If I do it before the blink/flash, as I mentioned above, it deselects the region.

R.

I should add that *kind of* blinks means it just flashes once and then I can move the region either up/down or horizontally. If I do it before the blink/flash, as I mentioned above, it deselects the region.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Does the blinking occur as you're holding down Shift, but haven't started clicking or dragging the region yet?

My apologies! OK so I just did a quick test and it seems it only does it (the blink) with Apple loops. With normal clips it works as described. The irony is that I hardly ever use loops but had a session open at the time that I was using some drum and bass loops to experiment with McDSP Comp and that's what I was using to check for the behaviour.

So yes, having double-checked, with normal audio and midi files pressing Shift *first* and then selecting the region creates the blue rectangle.

The blinking of the loop (or I should say one blink of the loop) happens when you have Shift pressed before selecting the loop. Not sure if the blink even means anything?

So I shall take my snarky comments and leave forthwith! :)

No. Try this.

Drag a loop into your session to, say, bar one. Now imagine you've just read about the above behaviour and you're thinking "Hmmm. It always works for me" so you go to the loop, press Shift and click on with your mouse. It then blinks in a "I've been selected" type-way. Meaning the high-lighted header goes clear and, well, yea, a slight blink happens. I've just done it 15 times to make sure I'm not going crazy! :)

Does yours not do that?

And I should add this disappearing of the header doesn't happen with normal audio or midi regions either.

A huge sorry to the OP. This is obviously not helping you!

R.

Bizarre. Now I'm committed to this. If I get a chance over the next day or so I'll do a little screen capture of it...

Sounds good. I wonder if this could be due to some key command programmation that's different on your MacOS than mine, or any 3rd party utility or something like that. But it is odd that the behavior would be different for Apple Loops and regular regions.

And I am still struggling to make sense of this. I am not understanding the exact timing for pressing shift because it is still deselecting the region when shift is touched. I give up and will just have to zoom way in to make sure the regions didn't get nudged when I move them to different tracks.

And I am still struggling to make sense of this. I am not understanding the exact timing for pressing shift because it is still deselecting the region when shift is touched.

You have to press and release shift AFTER you've started holding down the region with the mouse:

1) Click on the region and hold your mouse button down.

2) Continue holding down while you press and release Shift.

3) Continue holding down and drag.

• 2 years later...
On 6/9/2019 at 10:43 PM, robinloops said:

I just keep ‘Limit Dragging to One Direction’ (settings>general>editing) enabled for piano roll and tracks. Then using shift disables it (instead of enabling). To me using the modifier to disable one direction dragging makes more sense.

Oh sir, you've saved my life! Thank you so much!

• Like 1