which macbook should I get?

I'm rockin' an early 2015 13" MBRP, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, and this thing hasn't really given me many issues up until a few months ago, when the screen started flickering every so often. As far as running projects with a few choice plug-ins (I generally use NI K10 and Arturia Analog Lab 4) and just a large handful for mixing, it does the job very well. You could settle for the least expensive newer model(s) because that's your ceiling, but just keep in mind what you'll need for ports since they only have the USB-C/TB 3 ports. If you can and don't mind a refurbished model, they'll handle whatever you can throw at it.

The 2019 baseline 13" are quad-core and outperform the 2015 15"-ers, the two TB3 ports can be (via adapters) expanded into probably much more than the older models can handle.

at 1200$, you really don't have much choice new, you can practically only get the baseline 13" quadcore, 8gb/128gb SSD.

If you go used 2012-2015, i suggest 15", aim for 16GB of RAM and at least 256GB of SSD, i think you could get one spec'd like that for 1200$.