The new 16” is strong enough for music studio?

aviorrok

The new Mac Mini is not 8 core so disappointing

wow what a disappointing upgrade - they only nudged the SSD size up a notch. LOL.

I'm not surprised, they weren't going to do anything better than a speed bump on a machine that they completely redesigned only a year and a half ago. It's a great little machine and I'm glad the upper spec has 512 drive standard, having 128 on the lower spec was always silly.

wow what a disappointing upgrade - they only nudged the SSD size up a notch. LOL.

I'm not surprised, they weren't going to do anything better than a speed bump on a machine that they completely redesigned only a year and a half ago. It's a great little machine and I'm glad the upper spec has 512 drive standard, having 128 on the lower spec was always silly.

there is no speedbump - i'd been happy with a speedbump. :D

It's a great little machine and I'm glad the upper spec has 512 drive standard, having 128 on the lower spec was always silly.

Yeah exactly that, the worst issue from a buyers perspective was that the SSD upgrades was so disproportional to the price on the base mini. If you wanted a 1TB drive it was $600 on top. Now it's $200 and that sits far better with me, personally, feels less like i'm being mugged off.

In fact, when you look at the pricing you can upgrade to the i7 (+$200), 16GB (+$200) AND 1TB SSD (+$200) for the same price that the 1TB drive was on it's own previously - that's quite substantial from an audio perspective.

So i think this is a really good move - i'd pick a larger SSD vs a 10th Gen CPU if i could have the choice as it's a quantifiable upgrade in comparison. If we were looking at 10th Gen machines with 128/256 SSD's i'd feel it was a static step.

Oh, you're thinking i9 levels of upgrade? Well, that's different, and a bit more than a 'speed bump' lol

Have they ever put an i9 in the minis? I guess if a laptop can manage the thermals (Within reason), the mini should be able to. Probably more concerned with stepping on the feet of iMac power from a sales perspective i guess, but screw them guys, they get a screen, mouse, keyboard AND cleaning cloth! :)

Oh, you're thinking i9 levels of upgrade? Well, that's different, and a bit more than a 'speed bump' lol

Have they ever put an i9 in the minis? I guess if a laptop can manage the thermals (Within reason), the mini should be able to. Probably more concerned with stepping on the feet of iMac power from a sales perspective i guess, but screw them guys, they get a screen, mouse, keyboard AND cleaning cloth! :)

i9-9700 is a drop-in chip, and i7-8700 direct successor - fits the same thermal envelope and comes with the same crappy 630 UHD.