Audio recording random delay problem

jasonhou

On 1/12/2023 at 12:01 AM, Stacio said:

You can try to line it up to make it right, but the chances of getting back to its recorded position, or even within 10 or 15 milliseconds, is slim.

Has nothing to do with the rest of this thread, but this particular issue you can deal with without fail by invoking Edit -> Move -> "Move to recorded position". There's a keycommand for it too, so this goes really quick!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wonshu said:

Has nothing to do with the rest of this thread, but this particular issue you can deal with without fail by invoking Edit -> Move -> "Move to recorded position". There's a keycommand for it too, so this goes really quick!

This is a good command to know about but it sounded like they’re dealing with the same issues I was having where I can see the recorded material being placed later than the cursor by the project latency amount.

Anyway, I made a test case replacing all plugins with the free Voxengo Latency Delay and am happy to say that as long as I set Plug-in Latency Compensation to anything but “All”, disable Software Monitoring, and turn on Low Latency Monitoring then everything I record lines up no matter where I record it in the song. If I forget to do any of those things or any of those things are unknowingly reset (as in the event of a crash) it will be off by some amount.

I have no idea what set of design issues/potential bugs are at play here but at least I know how to work around it consistently.

Edited by sunbrother

• 1 month later...
On 2/29/2024 at 1:23 PM, JakobP said:

It would be interesting to see an example project exhibiting this issue when plugin latency compensation is set to "All" (and software monitoring off, of course) ? 

Me too, but so far it seems to occur in all of the last projects I've done.

If I leave Plugin Latency Compensation set to "All" then about 25% of the time I record Logic will have gotten into a state where it will print a significant delay to my recorded tracks. At least I assume it's Logic since using a different Plugin Latency Compensation setting fixes it/prevents it. It may be a Core Audio issue that Logic is simply interacting with and then showing the symptoms of.

Software monitoring is off and low latency mode off. I don't think low latency mode impacts this in my case as I did a lot of recording in one project it and didn't have low latency mode engaged but left Plugin Latency Compensation at "Audio and Software Instruments". The problem never showed up.

Edited by sunbrother