favorite wrist saving "mice"

KeithJames
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hi Logic Pro X users: I working a lot of hours right now at Logic Pro. I'm using a mac trac pad and I'm at the point where if I don't make a change I'm going to have sustained pain and injury in my right wrist. I think I need one of those ergonomic "mouses" that allow your hand/arm to rest in natural position with the wrist perpdenicular to the desk surface with hand in natural grasp.... Does anyone have a suggestion who needed to make the same change or knows of a superior mouse like this to work with Logic?

I haven't used a mouse in years. I use trackpads and find that I am saving a whole lot of movement. Mostly finger movement rather than shoulder, elbow, arm, wrist and finger. I wouldn't go back to using a mouse now.

Ironically I prefer the small trackpad on my MacBook Air vs the Apple Magic Trackpad 2, where I still haven't figured out how to do certain things like 3-finger drag (I use that ALL the time on my MacBook Air). And I don't like forcetouch, which requires more energy than should be necessary to perform any action IMO. I don't care much for haptic feedback either.

Hi David> Thanks interesting. I will have to see what I think of the mouse as I did order one with a large track ball. But definitely find it informative that an experienced pro as you prefer the trackpad for Logic Pro. I find that on the trackpad, I may not have the wrist problem if I never rest my arm down on the surface and only access the pad from dangling fingers. But that seems easier said than done, maybe I need more discipline and I could achieve a healthy use fo the trackpad. As it is now, my wrist is having a lot of problems with it. It's kind of like typing. You never, or I never rest my wrist down on the table surface because I'm a total correct position and very fast typer and only my fingers dangle down to the keyboard, wrists are elevated and active with the amrs. With the trackpad I keep finding my wrist plunked on the table and that's the problem. I'll let you know what I think of the mouse I just spent 40 bucks on!

Trackpad here too

stopped using the mouse 2 years back.

Set up all the required gestures, this + learning more & more keyboard shortcuts works great for me.

Tried different mice, DAW controllers etc, nothing can beat the trackpad for me, in fact I think its totally underrated!

Unfortunately, after canceling the vertical trackball mouse I had to go and re-order it. My wrist can not take the downward pressure of the pressing for clicks on the trackpad. I thought I could alter my arm use but there's no way around this. I need my wrist to not be involved, so a stationary mouse with just finger movement has to come in to give me a little relief. Should be interesting to adapt to the mouse. Shall see.

Unfortunately, after canceling the vertical trackball mouse I had to go and re-order it. My wrist can not take the downward pressure of the pressing for clicks on the trackpad.

I never ever apply pressure on the trackpad, that's what I was trying to convey. I also has a weak wrist and cannot stand having to apply pressure on a trackpad. However with all the available gestures I find that I can do whatever I want without pressure. Clicking is tapping. Dragging is swiping. Like on an iPhone for example. You don't have to apply any pressure, just ever so slightly touch the pad.

Right now I have to click it, push with pressure. Are you saying it can be reprogramed so all hard clicks are just gentle touches, taps?

Yes, definitely. Just like the touch screen of my iPhone, I never apply any pressure or "click" anything, just touch, tap or swipe.

Under Apple menu > System Preferences > Trackpad > Point & Click I have selected Tap to Click.

You bet. Ever since I've gotten my first touch screen phone I've realized how comfortable it was to use input devices that don't require any pressure or force to sense your entry. So much lighter on your wrist and fingers. I still get wrist strain from typing on my keyboard even though I've worked hard at learning to type efficiently and nearly effortlessly, applying only the amount of force that is necessary. Hopefully keyboards will also evolve in that direction!

TRACK PAD

Unfortunately I cant find how to turn the individual faders down on the Logic mixer or tracks window without applying pressure and dragging?

In the inspector I can scroll with 2 fingers with np pressure, on my Audio interface mixer too, is this possible in Logic mixer?

Unfortunately I cant find how to turn the individual faders down on the Logic mixer or tracks window without applying pressure and dragging?

Earlier in this thread I posted a link that shows how to enable three-finger dragging in Universal Access. That's how I drag everything without pressure on my Trackpad on my Mac.

Yeah, strain. Even though I'm very glad to have given up pressure click and know it's going to save me, at this point my right wrist is so shot still and in pain, but just realized all I need to do is put the trackpad on the other side and use my left hand for a while. Thanks again.

Earlier in this thread I posted a link that shows how to enable three-finger dragging in Universal Access. That's how I drag everything without pressure on my Trackpad on my Mac.

Wow, this is amazing, thank you David, apologies I missed that earlier post.

This is totally what DiegoJames needs also.

However, i have now lost the ability to scroll through the desk top pages! I tried to revert to the settings I had a few minutes ago and I still have no way to scroll through desktop pages

any advice?

However, i have now lost the ability to scroll through the desk top pages! I tried to revert to the settings I had a few minutes ago and I still have no way to scroll through desktop pages

any advice?

I use two-fingers swiping for scrolling. I'm assuming that's a default behavior? Wait... do you mean something else? Like using "Spaces"? I don't use that...

any advice?

I use two-fingers swiping for scrolling. I'm assuming that's a default behavior? Wait... do you mean something else? Like using "Spaces"? I don't use that...

yes two finger scroll now doesnt work, and I cant get it back! and also spaces now doesnt work, I dont know how to set that up again

No worries David, I experimented and now for some reason I need to use 4 fingers for scrolling pages and spaces,

Odd its become like that, but its fine, and I now have the amazing 3 finger gesture for the mixer, so all good.

Thanks for the link but I dont think its a Trackpad hardware issue, as I am using an external trackpad with a Macbook Pro, and both the trackpads are reacting the same.

Well at least it's not 6 fingers!!! Hahaha... seriously though 4 fingers sounds a bit cumbersome. There's got to be a better way. If I can do it so can you. Not sure what is going on on your Mac exactly that would make it behave like that.

I do wish all the input device behaviors were set in one central place on the Mac rather than being split between Trackpad preferences and Accessibility preferences.