Logic deleting tempo information.

Leandro Gardini
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

Hi there,

I am having an issue that I'm not sure if it's a bug or I don't know how to use beat mapping.

I am trying to add a beat mapping information in the middle of a track but Logic is deleting every tempo change that comes before this new beat mapping.

I've attached a couple of pictures. The first one is after adding the new beat mapping and the second one is before adding a new beat mapping of the right.

Why is Logic ruining with the tempo information?

538985006_ScreenShot2020-04-06at8_56_37PM.jpg.4ac26c879da87aafbe56806e571f51f2.jpg

155170489_ScreenShot2020-04-06at8_56_54PM.jpg.e8acc2b3b84d503e8f56d3e6bc9668e3.jpg

That is the way Logic works: beat mapping creates a tempo change that calculates what the tempo should be from the last beat you've mapped to the new one you're mapping. Because you've inserted tempo changes after the last mapped beat, without mapping new beats, those tempo changes are wiped out when you map a new beat after those.

Having manual tempo changes as well as beat mapped ones in the same project is pretty common, so I understand the frustration when Logic deems your efforts unworthy. I also seem to remember this not being the case in earlier versions.

Here's how to solve this. Assume you have a stretch of beat mapped tempo changes in bar 1-5, then you want to have some manual changes between 10 and 15, followed by another bunch of beat mapped tempo changes, at bar 20 and up.

- beat map the first bunch regularly

- then for every manual tempo change, you need a matching beat marker, so click on bar 10 to create a blue line, locate to bar 10 and create a tempo change in the tempo list (this to make sure you're exactly on the beat marker).

- repeat for the other manual changes

- at bar 20, create another blue beat marker

- beat map the region at bar 20 regularly

This will keep the manual tempo changes intact.

I also seem to remember this not being the case in earlier versions.

Granted, my memory is not my best asset, however I do seem to remember beat mapping always working like that. In my original Logic 8 book published in 2007 I had a lesson on movie scoring where I used beat mapping that way to sync a scene cut with a tempo change, and already back then I had to create a tempo buffer zone by creating an artificial beat map point only to protect any unwanted tempo changes before that point.

Having manual tempo changes as well as beat mapped ones in the same project is pretty common, so I understand the frustration when Logic deems your efforts unworthy. I also seem to remember this not being the case in earlier versions.

Here's how to solve this. Assume you have a stretch of beat mapped tempo changes in bar 1-5, then you want to have some manual changes between 10 and 15, followed by another bunch of beat mapped tempo changes, at bar 20 and up.

- beat map the first bunch regularly

- then for every manual tempo change, you need a matching beat marker, so click on bar 10 to create a blue line, locate to bar 10 and create a tempo change in the tempo list (this to make sure you're exactly on the beat marker).

- repeat for the other manual changes

- at bar 20, create another blue beat marker

- beat map the region at bar 20 regularly

This will keep the manual tempo changes intact.

I am trying to follow your advice but Logic always delete tempo information no matter where I try to put new beat marker.

I also seem to remember this not being the case in earlier versions.

Granted, my memory is not my best asset, however I do seem to remember beat mapping always working like that. In my original Logic 8 book published in 2007 I had a lesson on movie scoring where I used beat mapping that way to sync a scene cut with a tempo change, and already back then I had to create a tempo buffer zone by creating an artificial beat map point only to protect any unwanted tempo changes before that point.

It's a shame that after so many years Logic still operating under this illogical way. Apple should address this issue on the next update.

I am trying to follow your advice but Logic always delete tempo information no matter where I try to put new beat marker.

Try this:

beat.gif

Thank you, it worked. It was very laborious because Logic, for a reason that I cannot understand, kept deleting some old data even after adding the blue bars.

Now I've got another problem. Whenever I close the project and open again on the next day Logic deletes all beat mapped tempos (blue lines). The tempo changes were kept but not the blue bars and now that I have to work again with beat mapping the problem starts all over again.

What's the deal of this software to delete important information after opening it again??

Is it a bug or something the developers have been taking for granted??

It's been a struggle to work like this in Logic.

Ok, I think I've got a partial solution for this issue that is not so laborious. I will post here in case anyone face the same problem in the future.

If you want to beat map in the middle of a cue and not loose the previous tempo information do the following.

1 - In the global tempo track, select all tempo changes and copy them.

2 - Go to the place where you want to best map and work as you wish. Logic will partially and completely delete the previous tempo changes. Continue to work on your current beat mapping anyway.

3 - Once you are done with the latest beat mapping put the cursor in the beginning of the grid and paste the old tempo changes.

It worked for me but Logic has such a crazy way to work with tempo changes that eventually you may need to rework your entire tempo map again. I hope it's not your case.

I hope it helps!

• Like 1