How can I deactivate "Automatic Smart Controls" in LPX 10.4.4?

bluedog

Hi,

How can I remove any automatic involvement of these damn "smart controls" ?

I'm using Midi CC for automation and it works much more reliably than "Smart Controls" for my purposes.

Sometimes , however, smart controls force themselves into the automation absolutely without my starting them and it's pure hell to remove these automated things - it's a real waste of time in the workflow.

They even just pop into action without showing any automation lines either in "track" mode or "region" mode...it's so disruptive that I must inquire here -

Thank you in advance for your help.

M

How can I remove any automatic involvement of these damn "smart controls" ?

What kind of automatic involvement? Smart Controls are knobs. If you don't turn the knobs, nothing will happen. You can't deactivate them, the same way you can't deactivate your volume faders or pan knobs. However if you don't touch them, and don't have external controller assignments remote controlling them, they won't do anything.

Sometimes , however, smart controls force themselves into the automation absolutely without my starting them

Sounds like you may have controllers assigned to Smart Controls? Try to choose Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Bypass All Control Surfaces and see if the behavior goes away.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you David

Just to clarify my previous post: I have only a Nano Kontrol and I use it exclusively on orchestral instruments in Kontakt .

all goes well, and I can record midiCC automation for several weeks ... and then , for no reason at all , the smart controls automations either replace the midiCC in the track header and no amount of removing them works - or - the midi CC automation is visible but the GUI shows that the controls are caught between 2 automations ( vacillating between them) and there is no way to erase the smart control automation ( the smart control name appears in the header but the automation Line is invisible and selecting and clicking on “erase visible automation” or “erase all automation on selected track “ does not remove it -

The only solution I’ve found is to generate a new track but I can’t copy the automation when prompted as the risk of carrying over the problematic automation is great :)

Also I should mention that I open the smart controls screen and it’s deactivated and yet all of this happens ..,

I cannot figure out what I’m missing nor how to resolve it .

• 3 years later...

I am enduring the same nightmare.  Smart controls has decided to play repetitive patterns into any new software instruments track.  I can't turn it off.  Been on tech support an hour.   PLEASE HELP, it's ruining everything and even records it.  It's contaminating all my tracks. 

Hi Deborah,

1 hour ago, deborah606 said:

Smart controls has decided to play repetitive patterns into any new software instruments track

Smart Controls doesn't do that. A MIDI controller or Control Surface might, though. 

If your MIDI Controller appears in this window, uncheck the Auto checkbox and see whether the behavior stops?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro/lgcp14702db2/10.8/mac/13.5

What MIDI Controller do you have?

J.

• Like 1

Yamaha psrE323.  Sadly, there is no "auto" checkbox on mac in  10.7.9.  Now the whole program is flashing on and off and won't boot.  I am at highest version of Ventura too sys.  Controller is older works on 6 pin midi cable into Uphoria.  Has always worked great. I'm upgrading back to logic pro 10.8.1.  

I also tried "bypass all surface controller".  Doesnt work 

10 minutes ago, deborah606 said:

Yamaha psrE323

I’m not in front of my Macs right now, but from memory I don’t think there is a MIDI Device Script for that keyboard for it to be automatically configured for Logic (hence no entry for it in that window)

Now it sounds more like it’s simply sending unwanted MIDI data to Logic. 
You could easily check this with a tool such as the free Snoize MIDI Monitor.

J.

34 minutes ago, deborah606 said:

Yamaha psrE323. 

To use this keyboard with minimal grief in Logic, your best bet is to set it to PC Mode 2.
This will essentially disable all of the auto-accompaniment, sync, etc. features...and make it just a basic keyboard/input device.
Press and HOLD the DEMO button for at least 2 seconds and use the + or - buttons to choose "PC2".

• Like 2

A PSR E323 is an older Yamaha “home keyboard”. It is not a control surface. The data list which specifies the MIDI capabilities is available here.

It can only send a few MIDI CCs, here is the list…X means it cannot transmit those CCs.

ScreenShot2024-03-26at7_39_38AM.png.d4d5f8fb1fe3d8453ab4d34604272756.png

0 and 32 is patch bank select, 7 is MIDI volume, 10 is pan, 64 is sustain pedal, 72 is amp decay, 91 is reverb depth and 93 is chorus depth.  It’s unlikely that Smart Controls would be mapped to those CCs by default.

To be sending those CCs (or any other data) all the time suggests that the onboard accompaniment section is running.

• Like 3

Update. When I leave the middy cable plugged in to the berringer device the program flashes madly off and on and won't boot. Apparently does not like a 5 pin midi hook up. Anyway I ordered a mini 5 pin to USB cable. I will also take your suggestions about the yamaha controller. Logic pro does not like it I think. I don't think it likes the berringer MC 1820 device either. I think it wants new equipment. If I do get a new keyboard controller can I just plug the MIDI into the USB?  Thanks all so much for responding.   After upgrading my system and reinstalling logic pro  10.8.1 And disconnecting midi input and Switching my input to Mac microphone then the software opens and plays correctly and I don't hear that awful repetitive loop anymore. Only trouble now is I don't have any keyboard midi input so I can listen to tracks but I cannot play them. I might have to get new middle controller and of course eliminate the baron's your device because I don't think it's compatible.  What do you think is the best audio interface to use with a logic pro 10.8.1?

8 hours ago, oscwilde said:

To use this keyboard with minimal grief in Logic, your best bet is to set it to PC Mode 2.
This will essentially disable all of the auto-accompaniment, sync, etc. features...and make it just a basic keyboard/input device.
Press and HOLD the DEMO button for at least 2 seconds and use the + or - buttons to choose "PC2".

Ok I set it to PC2 mode.  I could try hooking it back to the Mac through the Behringer unit or I could wait until the 5pin midi to USB cable arrives by Amazon carrier pigeon. 

Update:  Curiouser and Curiouser.. Now I've done as you say and set my Yamaha keyboard to PC2 mode.  Problem appears to be solved.  I was able to open Logic, edit songs, save, close and the noise from hell is gone completely.  A ROUSING THANK YOU TO ALL.  I really thought I was losing my mind.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, deborah606 said:

Curiouser and Curiouser.. Now I've done as you say and set my Yamaha keyboard to PC2 mode.  Problem appears to be solved. 

Not that curious.
Home keyboards feature auto-accompaniment features - drums, bass, comps, etc. that you play with the left hand/different sound and melody with the right hand.

MIDI - the language/protocol - is broken down into two core function groups:
- system common
- system realtime

Without going too deep here, MIDI transmits and receives performance data...i.e. notes you play/record into Logic, pitch bend, modulation, and pedal info. Logic will faithfully record this performance and send it back to the keyboard, another MIDI sound module, or an internal software instrument.

When you use an auto-accompaniment keyboard, like your Yamaha, your "performance" is not only sending the notes you're playing...it is also sending the drum pattern, the bassline, the piano/string "bed" notes etc. on multiple MIDI channels (drums on channel 10, melody on channel 1, bass on channel 2, piano/strings on channel 3 or 4, or both, a.s.o).
As Logic understands "ALL" MIDI data, it will record it....on multiple channels, simultaneously.

Beyond "performance" data, MIDI also contains "clock" or timing data, along with start, stop, and continue commands...so that MIDI devices (and sequencers like Logic) can stay in-time with each other.
When "clock" is involved - only ONE device (or software like Logic) can be the master, and all other devices are synchronized with the master device (or software). Both Logic and the Yamaha are capable of being the master clock source...but when you have two devices competing to be the main clock....you will have problems.

Setting the PSR to PC2 mode actively disables clock (and start/stop/continue), multi-channel auto-accompaniment data transmission/reception, turns "local" off (the connection between the 323 keyboard and the 323 sound engine)....and basically turns your 323 into a straight MIDI keyboard input device....that works on MIDI channel 1.
For use with Logic - this is the simplest/cleanest way to incorporate the 323.

As you move forward with your use of Logic, you may find that different MIDI controller devices might suit your needs better - but now that the 323 is playing nicely with Logic - take some time, and read thru the forums about MIDI controller devices used by other members.
Feel free to ask questions about different units when/if you decide that you'd like to explore alternate controller options.
Ultimately, the 323 is limited/not ideally suited for use with Logic.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oscwilde said:

Not that curious.
Home keyboards feature auto-accompaniment features - drums, bass, comps, etc. that you play with the left hand/different sound and melody with the right hand.

MIDI - the language/protocol - is broken down into two core function groups:
- system common
- system realtime

Without going too deep here, MIDI transmits and receives performance data...i.e. notes you play/record into Logic, pitch bend, modulation, and pedal info. Logic will faithfully record this performance and send it back to the keyboard, another MIDI sound module, or an internal software instrument.

When you use an auto-accompaniment keyboard, like your Yamaha, your "performance" is not only sending the notes you're playing...it is also sending the drum pattern, the bassline, the piano/string "bed" notes etc. on multiple MIDI channels (drums on channel 10, melody on channel 1, bass on channel 2, piano/strings on channel 3 or 4, or both, a.s.o).
As Logic understands "ALL" MIDI data, it will record it....on multiple channels, simultaneously.

Beyond "performance" data, MIDI also contains "clock" or timing data, along with start, stop, and continue commands...so that MIDI devices (and sequencers like Logic) can stay in-time with each other.
When "clock" is involved - only ONE device (or software like Logic) can be the master, and all other devices are synchronized with the master device (or software). Both Logic and the Yamaha are capable of being the master clock source...but when you have two devices competing to be the main clock....you will have problems.

Setting the PSR to PC2 mode actively disables clock (and start/stop/continue), multi-channel auto-accompaniment data transmission/reception, turns "local" off (the connection between the 323 keyboard and the 323 sound engine)....and basically turns your 323 into a straight MIDI keyboard input device....that works on MIDI channel 1.
For use with Logic - this is the simplest/cleanest way to incorporate the 323.

As you move forward with your use of Logic, you may find that different MIDI controller devices might suit your needs better - but now that the 323 is playing nicely with Logic - take some time, and read thru the forums about MIDI controller devices used by other members.
Feel free to ask questions about different units when/if you decide that you'd like to explore alternate controller options.
Ultimately, the 323 is limited/not ideally suited for use with Logic.

Yes but the confusing thing was that this keyboard has never done anything like this before and it was not making any noise itself. Somehow it's simply decided to turn on this data or else the upgrade in the logic program allowed the data to come through where it had not before. I have used this keyboard with logic for years and never had any problem with it. That's why it was so confusing when it started making that noise and since I had used  The smart controls in logic I thought that the problem was coming from the upgraded software. If you had not told me this information I would have gone out and bought another keyboard and another  Audio interface. So really you saved me a lot of money and I really have to thank you for your information.

On 3/27/2024 at 8:05 AM, deborah606 said:

Yes but the confusing thing was that this keyboard has never done anything like this before and it was not making any noise itself. Somehow it's simply decided to turn on this data or else the upgrade in the logic program allowed the data to come through where it had not before. I have used this keyboard with logic for years and never had any problem with it. That's why it was so confusing when it started making that noise and since I had used  The smart controls in logic I thought that the problem was coming from the upgraded software. If you had not told me this information I would have gone out and bought another keyboard and another  Audio interface. So really you saved me a lot of money and I really have to thank you for your information.

Here's another problem that might be related to they keyboard. It only enters data on channel one.  I used to be able to double click on a logic track and I'd see the piano roll image of midi notes on that track, so I could edit.  Now with only one track selected, Logic insists on showing me ALL the midi notes.  Is it attempting to show me all the notes on midi channel one?  Regardless of the input, can I change the midi channels of the tracks?  I went in to score mode to layout of a track and changed it's midi channel.  As a result ALL NOTES ON THAT TRACK DISAPPEARED COMPLETELY.  i changed it back to midi channel one and the notes were restored.  Kinda unsettling.  Also for some reason, Logic erased all my lyrics in this particular song, now I have to put them all back.