How to automate reverb?

Antaren

I have a song where the vocal in the intro is acapella (unaccompanied) and then goes into the rest of the song with guitar, bass and drums.

The same amount of reverb that’s used in the body of the song doesn’t work in the intro. It’s too much. I am using the same reverb on the vocal track and on 2 acoustic guitar tracks. I’ve set up a bus on the 3 tracks to go to an aux track which is where the reverb is.

Can I set up an aux track with automation the same way I would set it up for any other track? That way I can bring down the reverb in the intro, and have it go back to the original level in the rest of the song.

Is this way accomplishing my goal the best way to do this? Thanks.

Yes, you can automate the Aux level just like you can automate any other track. However, there's also the option to automate the Send on the source channel, so less signal gets sent to the reverb. The difference is that turning the send down can sound less intrusive than turning the entire reverb down. Try it, you might like it.