How to Duplicate Tracks in Logic Pro X 10.5 Drum Machine Designer

Andrew Dixon
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Thanks, David.

Would you suggest a work around for this? I love DMD but I feel like this is lacking functionality in comparison to plug ins like Battery & in Ableton where you can quickly duplicate samples and make tweaks to each of them so they have different FX with the same core sample

• Like 1

There is no easy way to duplicate a pad. But this is what I would do.

1. Setup the first pad or start with the DMD kit you want to copy a pad for and located the pad. It will be pointing to an instrument channel, with a pitch. Probably Inst1, if this is a new empty project. Here is a new empty DMD, which by default has one pad pointing to Inst1.

empty.thumb.jpg.7b3ad1cf96fb68b5f3beba3eecea1c59.jpg

2. Ok, now click the + button the second pad. It will be pointing to Inst2, which is not what you want yet...

added2.thumb.jpg.daffd54e59181e08cc1514351601819f.jpg

3. Open up the environment. Look for the channel strip called "Inst 2". Select it.

env_initi.thumb.jpg.810d7f29d217a6d4aff7c534d2f3815c.jpg

4. Look at the inspector on the left and change the "Channel" to Inst1, (or whatever your first pad is pointing to).

envchangechannel.thumb.jpg.693ffbbd70c6e01efdc4fb32b0b99ff2.jpg

5. While you are doing that, you can change the name of the pad here, (i called this one" Inst 1 Dupe")

changename.jpg.49229d1306968c782dc233482a890f56.jpg

6. Now look at DMD and you will see the new pad is pointing to the same instrument as the first one, with a different name, it doesn't have to be a different name. You can use same name or icon. By default its probably pointing to a different midi pitch, that's up to you what you want to do, you can change that in DMD.

results.thumb.jpg.5092e2051838d374ac12a2c3dc5b937d.jpg

• 3 years later...