Dumb and Confused

Dox

Thanks des99 I was just playing in free time. I have tried to set the project tempo to adapt. Then set a constant tempo throughout. But then I need to get the length to 8 bars. Once all that is done isn't it possible to get Drummer to match the tempo I set?

To begin with, it's easier, yes.

There are tools to analyse your playing and create tempo changes in Logic to match, but they are fairly advanced to use, and without knowing what your playing is like, and from your posts, I'd say you really should learn how to play to a fixed tempo, at least to begin with.

When you play to the tempo you set in Logic, then yes, anything that depends on tempo will automatically play in time.

Should I always play to a click at a set tempo?

Not necessarily. There are many ways for Logic to detect your tempo. However you're not telling what you're working with, or what you want, so unless we try to guess, it's hard to help you. I'll try a random guess, that the guitarist played only the beginning of a loop and stopped short of finishing 8 bars, albeit at the right tempo in the project. If that's the case, then marquee select 8 bars over the shorter guitar region and Press Command-R to repeat. Does that work?

If that's not the case then you need to give us more information so that we can understand what you're working with? Screenshots can help: How to attach files to your post

Hi David

I have read articles like this:

https://www.musictech.net/tutorials/smart-tempo-in-logic-pro-x/

In which it states: "As with all automated ‘intelligent’ processes, there are limits to what Smart Tempo can interpret. The technology is based on establishing downbeats and then using the time between these two points to establish the tempo. Your playing style needs to be clear, therefore, and, within reason, ‘rhythmic’. If you’re trying to establish an initial ‘human’ tempo grid, pick a simple strumming guitar part, for example, rather than anything too complicated or syncopated."

The problem is that what I often play IS complicated and syncopated. I am attaching a file of the various things I tried to extend the section to 8 bars and then correct the timing. The example is purposefully progressively more off tempo and of an irregular odd number of bars to illustrate a worst case scenario while being very simple. Oh yes. The first 4 tracks are only to compare the same processes with MIDI as opposed to Audio. However I have also reread the section in your book regarding Groove Tracks. That seems to help somewhat too.

All I want to do is play some freetime guitar to which I can then attach Drummer and continue to build songs.

How to correct Timing.logicx.zip

Edited by Dox

You might find it preferable, if your tempo changes are sufficiently complex that you're struggling to get Logic to recognise them with it's automatic tools, to manually record a click/metronome over your playing, and then use beat mapping to create tempo changes based on that click.

Basically, you're helping define when the beats are, and using that to inform tempo, rather than chucking some audio at Logic and going "you work it out!" :)

I played free time with Adapt Tempo set. Then took the average tempo and set that as the project tempo and Keep. Then I set my guitar playing as the Groove Track and the Drummer Match Groove Track. Both tracks now sync perfectly. Thanks again for the book! :)

I apologise for not making it clear what the uploaded file is demonstrating. I thought the file name would make it obvious. This is not a project with all tracks to be played together. The file contains various ways to get Drummer to sync with a free time recording. First with a MIDI piano recording. Only listen to one MIDI piano track at a time against the Drummer track. The names of the tracks are the approaches taken. Then listen to the guitar tracks one at a time against the Drummer track. I hope this makes sense now. The MIDI piano and the guitar track are purposefully out if time with a regular beat and of an odd length. The point us to find ways of cirrecting free time recordings.

I thought the file name would make it obvious. This is not a project with all tracks to be played together.

That last part is obvious. On the other hand, how each note is supposed to fall on which beat (or between which beats, and on what position in between the beats) isn't. Only you know. Unless you tell us "see that note at 1 4 3 231? It's supposed to be beat 2 of bar 2" or something like that, we can't possibly guess what you intended to play.