Copying/Pasting multiple steps in Step Sequencer

stikygum

Is this possible? Let's say I have a 64 step pattern. I'm trying to find a way to find a way to copy the first 32 steps (first page) into step 33-64 (second page). Copying and pasting rows doesn't work; you can't copy a row of the first 32 steps into the same row's next 32 steps, aka steps 33-64. As far as I know...

I was wondering if there was a way to select a bunch of steps, then copy those steps and be able to paste them on either the steps 1-32 page or steps 33-64 page. If anyone finds this out, please let me know. I've been searching the manual and watching videos to no avail. From what I can tell, it's not possible.

Yeah, I think I see what you're getting at. Are you suggesting to use the Step Sequencer in 16 Step mode and then after I create a 16 step pattern, expand that to 64 steps, which will automatically copy the first 16 steps three more times to fill out the full 64 steps? I was thinking about that as a workaround after I posted this. It seems like that's what Apple was intending people to do. The downside of this approach is that after you create your 16 step pattern and expand to 64, if you want to go back and make changes to the first 16 steps, you have to do that manually for all the other steps too. Once you expand from 16 step to 64 steps, there's no way to copy from the first 16 steps to 17-32, 33-48, 49-64 after that. At least the initial 16 steps can be copied out to steps 17-32, 33-48, 49-64 (before expanding to these steps).

I usually like to create a 32 step pattern and then copy that to the next 32 steps and make slight alterations to the last 32 steps (keeping most of it intact). It's too bad you can, for example, select a group of steps to copy in your pattern, and then click on a step anywhere in the pattern and paste the group of copied steps beginning at the selected step.

This and having a Push/Launchpad controller functionality is all I want for the Step Sequencer. I bought an new iPad so I can minimize my key commands and just focus on the other key commands that the Logic Remote doesn't have. Logic has made a great stride with this update. Now they just have a little distance to go to make this on par with Ableton's functionality. Funny thing is, I've always preferred Logic linear approach, but I've admired Ableton's integrated functionality at the software and hardware level.

Do you know of the best place to make suggestions directly to Apple for feature updates?

Edited by stikygum

Yeah, I think I see what you're getting at. Are you suggesting to use the Step Sequencer in 16 Step mode and then after I create a 16 step pattern, expand that to 64 steps, which will automatically copy the first 16 steps three more times to fill out the full 64 steps?

Well that's one idea. But what I was suggesting is to keep that specific row as a 16 step pattern while the others are 64.