Steinberg instruments menu completely missing after 10.5.1 update

PP1965

Hi,

I have just realised that the complete Steinberg menu is missing after updating Logic Pro X to 10.5.1.

I made a complete Halion 6 reinstall.

Plugin manager validated HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3 successfully.

I can use the standalone version without any problem.

But: Steinberg menu is completely missing from the instruments menu...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Hmm... if you haven't already, try unticking use, quitting and restarting Logic, then re-ticking use, quit and restarting, just to see if they appear. Same with reset and rescan selection.

Do the plugins appear as expected in other plugin hosts? (eg, Hosting AU, Live, AU Lab etc)

Failing that, you can try trashing your AU cache file, and forcing all plugins to revalidate, and seeing if they show up then.

I have already tried that, nothing helped. Tried to rescan them, cleared the audio cache file, the situation was the same. I have installed Universal Audio's Luna and it can see the Steinberg instruments, so I think there is something wrong in Logic Pro X 10.5(.1).

Hi Peter,

I'm on 10.5.1 and I've got Halion 6 running pretty much all the time and I just checked and I also have the Steinberg folder in my AU Instruments drop down. The only obvious thing I see that's different in our setups is that I'm still on Mojave. Have you tried creating a custom folder in the Plug In Manager? For instance, I have a folder called Sample Players that includes all of my sample based plug ins. I'm just curious if Halion will show up in Logic if you drag it to a custom folder since that's where I normally access it on my system.

I have found an interesting difference in case of HALion plugins.

The sharing permissions for these to ones are the following: (/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components/)

- system (user): read/write

- wheel (group): read only

- everyone (group): read only

In case of other installed components:

- peterposafalvi (user): read/write

- staff (group): sometimes read/write and sometimes read only

Can this be the problem?

I can add myself to the sharing permission and delete wheel, but I can't find the group named stuff.

I have found an interesting difference in case of HALion plugins.

The sharing permissions for these to ones are the following: (/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components/)

- system (user): read/write

- wheel (group): read only

I just checked and it looks like all of my AU plug-ins have this permission set, so I don't know if this is your problem. I seem to have all the same settings, but everything works over here. I hate problems like this. They're so frustrating! I'll keep thinking about it and if I come up with anything, I'll let you know...

Today I have got a lot of help and support from Apple.

I created a new partition on my iMac Pro and installed only Catalina, Logic Pro X and Halion 6. For the first time the validation crashed but finally it was finished successfully. This way the Steinberg menu appeared and I could open Halion 6.

Unfortunately I have no idea how I could resolve this issue on the main partition without reinstalling everything.

Often when something weird happens in a user account, it can be difficult to isolate and fix it. *Sometimes*, depending on the severity of the issue, it's easier just to move everything to a new user account, and therefore avoid the old weirdness completely, but that's obviously a fairly severe and disruptive thing to do.

I'd be thinking that there might be some permissions issues, and I'd make sure that Logic preferences, and the folder that Logic stores all the plugin manager configurations have good permissions. I can't remember whether you cleared out the tag database, but it might be an idea to try at least temporarily moving all the plugin manager data somewhere else (so you can restore it if necessary), and letting Logic create new data, in case there's something weird going on with a plugin manager folder name collision or something.

Today I tried to reinstall Mac OS X but it hasn’t helped.

Finally I created a new admin user, started Logic and after the validation of the plugins I could create a new empty project with an instrument track.

And YES, the Steinberg menu was there, I could use it again.

• 1 month later...