No audio, and certain tasks taking forever in 10.5.1

choosebronze

Last month I bought a new computer. I did a clean install of Logic on it, and things haven't felt right since then. Lots of little problems that seem to come and go, or I had to search online for a fix. As of last night, I had Logic running and I was recording/playing back. Today I opened that same session (small session, 4 audio/1 software instrument tracks), now there's no audio playback. I've confirmed (and disabled and re-enabled) the Audio device in my preferences, I relaunched everything. Nada. I tried with a different session, same problem. The VU meters show nothing happening when I press play. The playhead does move. The output device is connected. It's a Scarlett 18i20, the Scarlett software shows it connected without issue.

Possibly tied to that, since installing on this new computer startup takes forever (and I upgraded from a 6 year old Mini to a brand new one, I expected the opposing). Startup of Logic takes over a minute every launch. The splash screen says it's updating info for audio unit plugins, but I haven't installed any since I first set up the computer. Also since getting the new computer, every time I change Input/Output devices Logic takes 30-40 seconds to Apply that change. Much longer than it used to.

Grateful for any tips you guys have.

Sluggish Logic behavior can be many things.

Sometimes a restart of computer might help.

Making sure your 3rd party plugins are compatible with your current operating system.

Things connected to the computer physically and digitally, especially cloud-based stuff that interacts with Logic.

Can you be more specific about your setup?

• 1 year later...

I'm really sorry. I posted this topic and then everything just started working right and I forgot I posted it. Everything worked fine for about a year. Recorded over 50 songs last year. No issue. Then last night, all of these issues came back. I haven't installed any new software or plugins. Just out of the blue.

I have an Intel Mac mini with a Scarlett 18i20. The Scarlett has a Behringer ADA8200 connected for additional inputs. The 18i20 is the master clock source and the "locked" lights are lit on both devices.

As of last night, if I try to open a session, I get a popup that says "Loading" and the name of the session for over two minutes. This includes a session that has 2 guitar tracks with virtual amps and pedalboard, a vocal track with just EQ and compressor, and a Drummer track.

Once the session finally opens there is no sound. The playhead moves when I hit play, but no meters show any output. The output meter at the top of Logic shows nothing. In the mixer view, output for each track shows no activity. The Scarlett MixControl shows no activity on any channel. Logic is set to use the 18i20 for input and output, and on the I/O assignment, Output 1-2 is set as the output.

I tried restarting. I tried disabling and re-enabling Core Audio. I tried setting Logic to use a different in/out source, and then switch back to the 18i20.

Also, each time I change the In/Out device in Logic it takes about 2 minutes for the change to save. On all my other Macs that change takes about 10 seconds. I've done everything I can think of, I'd be happy for any help or advice anyone has. I'll be sure to check back and stay on top of the pos this time.

[Edit] I just noticed the Scarlett software keeps resetting itself to 96khz, which is not the sample rate I use. I change it to 44.1, and eventually when I go back to look, it's at 96khz again. Changing it to 44.1 does not fix the no sound issue but maybe it's related somehow.

Thanks triplets. I just emailed Focusrite too. The hardware is great but their software is terrible. Maybe they have an answer.

Make sure you've downloaded and installed their latest driver for your version of MacOS?

I would also recommend you try working in a new user account that you create on your Mac to test things out and see how it behaves.

Well Focusrite wasn't really helpful. I sent them a follow-up to try and explain the issue better. But they did send me a knowledgeable article saying at the 18i20 should be set to ADAT while I should be using the internal clock on the ADA8200. I'd always had things set up the opposite way. I switched things around the way they suggest. Both devices show LOCKED and the Scarlett software shows locked at 44.1khz.

Now that I've made this change every time I deselect input monitoring on a track, Logic completely freezes...

Did you check this out ?

Thanks triplets. I just emailed Focusrite too. The hardware is great but their software is terrible. Maybe they have an answer.

Make sure you've downloaded and installed their latest driver for your version of MacOS?

I would also recommend you try working in a new user account that you create on your Mac to test things out and see how it behaves.

Well I don't see any "drivers," just their control software, and I have the latest edition. Same issues in a new user.

As for an aggregate device, that's news to me. I remember making one once when I wanted to combine two separate USB devices for more inputs, but here the devices are linked via optical cable. The ADA8200 does not connect directly to the Mac. Only the 18i20 connects to the Mac and the Audio MIDI Setup sees the 18i20 along with all 8 inputs, as well as the ADAT inputs from the ADA8200.

I don't really have anything on this computer. All of my sessions and Logic files are stored externally. I might just wipe the whole computer, reinstall OS X, and see if that fixes everything.

Okay I still haven't figured out why Logic is taking 2-3 minutes to change the interface, but I did find this answer, I think, re: the no sound issue. I'm sitting here dumbfounded because I thought this was... impossible?

These are the files in the project that's giving me most of my headaches. As you can see the tracks are recorded at different bitrates. Odd, because I only ever record at 44.1. But here's the wildest part, I never thought this was the issue because on my MacBook all of these tracks play fine together. Nothing sounds sped up or slowed down or choppy. All the different bitrates, playing together happily. I didn't know that was possible.

logicnopebin.png

Once I discovered this, I found this Focusrite article specifically about issues with my interface and 96khz performance, so this is at least part of my issue. https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546475-Why-will-my-Scarlett-18i20-1st-gen-not-play-or-record-audio-at-96Khz-on-a-Mac-

All the different bitrates, playing together happily. I didn't know that was possible.

Yes, there should be no issue with that. Different sample rates is a different story.

Audio MIDI Setup sees the 18i20 along with all 8 inputs, as well as the ADAT inputs from the ADA8200.

Does it see the ADA8200 as an actual interface?

I'm sorry, I meant sample rates! 44.1 and 96 in the same session playing together. Unless I'm confused those are the sample rates right?

And no, since the ADA8200 only connects to the 18i20, Audio MIDI setup does not see it. And to be clear it's not an interface, it's just 8 extra preamps that connect to the 18i20.

• You can freely mix and match files of different Bit depth (16 bits or 24 bits) in the same project.

• You should never have files of different Sample rates (44100 and 96000) in the same project.

logicnopebin.png.3b3adeaf4cb8c443d094d621af467b4f.png

The sample rates of all your files in the Project audio browser should always be the same as the sample rate of your project listed in File > Project Settings > Audio (with an exception for Apple Loops because those will automatically match the project's tempo and pitch).

When an audio file that is not at the sample rate of the project is used in a project, it will not play at the correct speed (tempo) and pitch, however the mismatch in itself does not create issues with the clocking of the hardware or its driver.

I found this Focusrite article specifically about issues with my interface and 96khz performance, so this is at least part of my issue. https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546475-Why-will-my-Scarlett-18i20-1st-gen-not-play-or-record-audio-at-96Khz-on-a-Mac-

Yes, good find! Indeed that seems to be the issue here.

When an audio file that is not at the sample rate of the project is used in a project, it will not play at the correct speed (tempo) and pitch

That's the insane part. On my Mac Mini w/ the 18i20 (set at 44.1 or 96) the session will not even open. But on my Macbook Air with an Audiobox 96 set to 96khz, the session opens and all tracks play fine. Correct speed and pitch. I don't understand how the files got recorded at different sample rates, or how they play correctly now. Very weird.

But I'll just erase my Mac Mini and start from scratch with a fresh OS and fresh Logic install.