Ways to improve Logic's Bounce to Disk Speed?

daveyboy

I've just upgraded from a 2010 Mac Pro 12 core 266 to the new iMac 10 core w/128gbs ram, super fast internal ssd and a super fast external TB SSD. I'm testing things and wrote a short 2 minute song with a handful of VIs and audio tracks and am seeing how fast it bounces. With all plugins/VI's it takes around 52 seconds. Without any plugins (but with the VIs) it takes around 14 seconds. And finally, with no plugins or VIs turned on, it takes around 3 seconds! I was hoping the first bounce (with everything turned on) would feel more "zippy". From all my geeky testing it seems that the reason it bounces "slow" with everything is due to the UAD plugins. Whenever they are disabled it bounces noticeably slower. I'm assuming this is because the UAD stuff runs off the chips in the Apollo x16 and are limited by the speed of that processor, correct? So, if I want "fast" bounces I'd have to not use UAD stuff (which I probably won't do). Am I missing anything else? I've tried all the other audio settings within Logic which didn't seem to make any difference. Thanks!

• 3 years later...
On 9/3/2020 at 8:25 AM, David Nahmani said:

Offline bounces are optimizing the CPU resources to be done as fast as they can be. You can't speed them up unless you reduce the load placed on the CPU by your project (turn off unneeded tracks, remove unnecessary plug-ins etc).

Just out of curiosity, what specific computer specs are gonna matter most when it comes to this? Is it RAM? Cores? Curious what upgradable factor would influence bounce speeds the most.