Accessing plugins from a separate HDD?

staticx786gmail.com

Hey guys this is my first time on this forum and I haven't been able to find a solution to my problem.

Basically I'm wondering if it is possible to access my plugins from a separate internal HDD? Recently my original HDD died and I had to move everything to an external drive. I figured to upgrade my iMac to a dual hard drive setup (SSD and a regular HDD). So when I finally replaced the drives, I restored all the contents from the external drive to the regular rotational HDD since has more capacity, and basically used the SSD just for the regular system and OSX files.

The problem I'm facing now is that whenever I try to resume my mixing projects none of the plugins are accessible and they just have that little "!" over them. I've tried just copying all the .component and VST files to the SSD but that just ends up in Logic crashing at startup for me without an error message. I know the obvious solution is to just redownload all the plugins to the SSD but I'm not sure some of the plug-ins I have will let me activate them more than once and I don't want to use up a lot of space on it.

If anyone can help me out or point me to an article or sub that has solved this problem, it would be kindly appreciated!

you should probably just reinstall the plugins. they install into a specific place (the components folder); some have application support folders, or presets in the audio folder, or your user folder; the installers know the path. and the system logs the installs, so... best to do this correctly.

but... perhaps possible to do a symlink? or an alias? maybe someone here has thoughts about that.

also, if you encounter any activation issues, contact the developer. i've had to do that a number of times, worked fine. just explain the situation. good luck!