Audio Not Controllable

fontaine666

I've been noticing sometimes certain audio stops being able to be controlled, for instance to bring the level up or down or add any effects etc. It's really annoying me. I find that if I copy the track then drag down the audio it works on the new track but obviously I don't want to keep doing this. I notice that the little green on light doesn't react when this happens, and the audio level for that track goes right down. It may be an easy fix, but I just don't know how to solve it, without copying the audio to a new track etc. Is it a bug?

Thanks very much for all your help!

No, it's not a bug, at least not a known one. Most issues like this end up being pilot error, however before we can determine what it is, some testing is in order. First: are we talking audio coming from audio regions on the track during playback? Or monitoring a live source? Or MIDI regions triggering a software instrument?

So I've just opened logic this morning and that track is now fully operational again. Confusing, as it only happens occasionally? I'm pretty sure it's not automation.

When I see someone say "pretty sure", in my scientific troubleshooter brain this immediately translates to "not 100% sure". Next time this occurs again, attach a copy of your project here so that we can have a look.

Note that it could also be a connected MIDI device sending volume events in real time?

Well I know how automation works, and obviously this is only happening occasionally, then when I reboot logic it goes, or if I move the region to a new track it goes, so the 'pretty sure' is based on those assumptions. There were no connected midi devices, just the soundcard. This has never happened before I upgrade to the latest version.

Well I know how automation works, and obviously this is only happening occasionally, then when I reboot logic it goes, or if I move the region to a new track it goes, so the 'pretty sure' is based on those assumptions. There were no connected midi devices, just the soundcard. This has never happened before I upgrade to the latest version.

What I mean is that rather than base your conclusions on assumptions, try to actually get to the bottom of it. For example if there's track automation, moving the region to a new track would indeed make the problem go away, so that test does not prove that it's not a track automation issue. I mean if I said "my car won't start and I'm pretty sure there's gas in the tank", the first thing you'd say is "well... why don't you actually LOOK in the tank and see if there actually is gas or not, so that you can be 100% sure?"

I'm at the stage where I haven't automated the volume on any tracks yet.

I don't see the volume fader change position, it's just the volume fader has no effect on the volume when it happens, I can turn it all the way down and it still plays, but at a slightly lower volume than normal.

The green light that shows that audio is playing is off.

Hope this helps. Sorry, hope i'm being not too vague!