Logic changing gain / volume when joining tracks

Alex_oz
Go to solution Solved by triplets,

Hi guys, i've been having this issue for quite some time. I doesn't happen always but it really affects my mixes. I tried with different projects and it's always the same.

Basically, when i join 2 track the wave from is squeezed and the gain reduced, attached I included and after / before photo showing this. The size of the tracks hasn't been modified.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Before

before.png.9b6a9b3d09c5517b2978fa1363d5fe00.png

After

after.png.d97b8fbda68a15928338b28bf4d9c4ae.png

Cheers

Edited by Alex_oz

I wouldn't merge those files.

Drop it on top so it cuts thru and you can see the two files. For that to happen you have to set the Drag mode to No Overlap, but maybe you have that already set.

Thanks triplets, that was my second option and the one that i'll have to use as it seems that the Join feature doesn't work properly for these tracks.

Cheers

The Join command does indeed work properly, you're using it wrong though. You are mixing two tracks, each of which has -6.6dB gain, so the result will end up 6.6dB quieter than before. And then be turned down by 6.6dB again, so there's 13.2dB loss from start to finish.

Triplets' suggestion is right on the money.

Hey fuzzfilth, it's not quite like that. All the time I use the join feature without having gain reduction. It just happens only some times. Proof of that is that if you have gain at 0.0 in both tracks, after joining the gain gets reduced in this case.

it's not quite like that.

Actually it's exactly like that.

It just happens only some times

It's much more deterministic, I promise.

If you join two regions...

a) ...on the same track, they get merged into one file with the tracks's mono/stereo format. Individual Region Gain does apply if it differs between regions. Fader position does not apply

b) ...on different tracks through the same channel, they get merged into one file with the tracks's mono/stereo format. Individual Region Gain does apply if it differs between regions. Fader position does not apply

c) ...on different tracks with different channels, they get mixed into one file with the mono/stereo format that you clicked in the join dialog. Individual Region Gain does apply. Fader position does apply

In your case, you're using option c, with -6.6dB gain from the fader, which results in a mixed file that's 6.6dB quieter. This file then plays through the same channel with the fader still at -6.6dB, so that's 13.2dB loss.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...