Opinions Please! (Rock / Pop Track)

bresnark

Hi, everyone. This is the first track I've posted to the community - and, actually my first track in Logic Pro 8. It's enough to make a man nervous.

http://community.mi7.com/profile/8343

We were worried that the vocal level sounded almost clipped going in (although it was actually incredibly low and significantly under the red). I think I've Eq'd it so that it sits *okay* but do you all think it fundamentally needs re-recording? This is only a demo and I was happy with the performance, so it doesn't need to be *perfect* tonally. But it might be time for a new interface if this one keeps distorting the signal for no reason :-(

Anyway, all opinions and, especially, mixing advice VERY gratefully received.

Robin.

I listened to Animals In Space and I thought it to bo a good tune. That is a nice voice. It sits well in the song (I think).

On the production side of things? Levels: first thing that hits me is the bass drum is up a little too much.

Might want to bring the guitars to the other side of the spectrum. Right now it sounds like the guitar that is on the right - is panned hard right. That is ok for most things, but with this tune, I think you should give the guitar a little 'verb, and then pan the tail of the 'verb to the opposite side. You could try that for both guitars. Just my humble opinion.

I do like the tune very much, though. It does sound good the way it is. Those were just a couple of things that hit me pretty quick (in the mix).

Thank you for sharing this tune with us. Take care.

That's very kind of you, Waterboy - and some very good advice there. The guitars aren't hard panned (probably about 20 either way) but I agree - they sound too far over. I think some of this is actually down to post-mix widening, so I'll tame it off a tad.

Really appreciate your comments.

Robin