Punch In/Out Troubleshooting

brandon.1018

Hey- So I've been having this problem for a while now, and it seems like a lot of other people on other forums have had the same issue. Nobody has been able to resolve it though..

I'm trying to manually punch in an out to get a line/phrase/word/guitar lick/anything, but when I click "R" to punch in, the audio mutes for half a second and then keeps playing when the recording starts. It really screws up the punch in because the music stops, and then just JUMPS back into recording. Then I can't punch out by clicking "R", I have to stop the whole playback.

Originally, Apple told me it was because I had my files in my iCloud folder (I was doing that for backup) and the files were communicating fast enough to be able to punch in. I tried switching to a normal folder on my desktop, but the issue still happens.

I'm running v10.5.1 on Catalina. Any ideas?

when I click "R" to punch in

You're mixing up a few things. First, you can't click R to punch in. You click R in the track header to record-enable an audio track. Then you click the button with the big red dot to drop into record and the button next to it, with the triangle, to drop out. Like this:

rec.thumb.gif.078944f5e76b472fa3bb2567dc5c19b7.gif

You might want to look up the key command for Record Toggle, because hitting a key on the computer keyboard is about ten times more accurate than aiming and clicking with the mouse.

when I click "R" to punch in

You're mixing up a few things. First, you can't click R to punch in. You click R in the track header to record-enable an audio track. Then you click the button with the big red dot to drop into record and the button next to it, with the triangle, to drop out. Like this:

rec.gif

You might want to look up the key command for Record Toggle, because hitting a key on the computer keyboard is about ten times more accurate than aiming and clicking with the mouse.

by "R" I mean I'm using the shortcut. The track is already record enabled, but I'm using the keyboard shortcut of "R" to start recording/punching in

Is the track really R-enabled, like a blinking red R button (not just the red R inside a gray button)?

What happens if you start playback first, then click the Record button (button with a red disc) in the Control bar instead of pressing the R key on your keyboard?

Also Control-click that Record button and make sure you have the following settings?

Record-settings.png.0865b23b0796ac73445283ab2a4bb7a2.png

Yep, the track is really record enabled. I should note that recording takes work just fine, it's just when I try to punch in, that I get a 1 second lag where all audio stops, the playhead keeps moving, and then everything catches and starts recording. It happens both when i use the "R" keyboard shortcut as well as when I click the record button on the top.

I do have the settings in the pic

ive tried both internal and cloud, external always gave me issues

Never record audio in the cloud. But you should definitely not get this issue with an internal or external if it's properly formatted and all your settings are correct. Something's wrong there. Try creating a new user account, start a new empty project record only one audio track and then try punching in, see if you get the same issue?

Ok then let's take a very specific situation with a new empty project and be as precise as possible when describing the issue.

What do you hear before punching in?

What do you hear during the 1 second after punching in?

What do you hear after that 1 second gap?

In each case do you hear the pre-recorded audio on the track? The input monitoring?

Ok then let's take a very specific situation with a new empty project and be as precise as possible when describing the issue.

What do you hear before punching in?

What do you hear during the 1 second after punching in?

What do you hear after that 1 second gap?

In each case do you hear the pre-recorded audio on the track? The input monitoring?

Before punching in, everything plays as it should. Right when I click to punch in, the playhead keeps moving but there is no audio output. So it's as if the track is playing for that second ,but there is no sound. After about a second the audio sort of "catches" and resumes playing from where the playhead is, so there is about a seconds worth of audio that was muted. As soon as the audio starts to be audible again, I can record. The issue with this is that, when I'm punching in, I lose the feel of the track, and it throws off the take.

• 2 years later...

Hello, we're having the same issue over here. All playback of existing audio and instrument tracks ceases to play for about 1 second after punching in. 

The only audio that can be heard during this 1 second gap is the monitored audio from a microphone on the selected track, but from UAD's Console since we use that for software monitoring. Software monitoring within Logic is turned off. After this 1 second gap, all audio continues to playback normally. The playhead continues smoothly during this 1 second gap. MIDI instruments do not have to "catch" after this 1 second gap, which is extremely strange to me. It's like all software instruments and audio tracks are playing back normally, but a momentary mute is occurring on all tracks.

I've tried assigning hotkeys for the various record modes, like "Record Toggle." This doesn't fix the issue unfortunately. The behavior is the same regardless if cycle is on or off. It doesn't matter if Auto Input Monitoring is turned on or off.

This is occurring on both a Mac Studio and Macbook Pro, so I'm assuming this is a setting somewhere that I'm missing.

There is a single fix for this so far, but unfortunately, it isn't acceptable. By record arming the track manually, it eliminates this issue. However, we are unable to hear recorded audio during playback, since the track is record armed. Obviously de-activating the record arm on this track will fix this, but it's too clunky of a workflow.

I believe there is an issue with the process of record arming a track, if the track is not manually armed. "If no track is Record-enabled, when you press record, the selected track is automatically Record-enabled." This seems to be the issue that is causing the delay. If there is a way to hear recorded audio on a track that is record armed, that would fix this issue. Thank you for the help!

2 hours ago, triplets said:

To hear playback on an armed track you have to uncheck Auto Input monitoring under top menu Record.

I don't know if that applies if you're not monitoring thru Logic. Worth a try.

Hello! I've explained the issue in-depth in the linked video below.

Having Auto-Input Monitoring checked or unchecked does not have any effect on being able to have playback on a recorded track while the track is record armed, unfortunately. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv9s78tw2zc87t4/20230227_141817.mp4?dl=0

Edited by millerme

53 minutes ago, millerme said:

Hello! I've explained the issue in-depth in the linked video below.

I watched the video. What happens if you do check Software Monitoring in Logic?

I know you're using UAD to monitor.

I think that's the issue here. If it works with SM on, then you know you have to find a way with the UAD software. I have an Apollo as well, but I monitor thru Logic.