I/O Buffer Size vs Process Buffer Range

Woodland Hills

if that is true, and who really knows, then it would have ZERO effect on latency, by the way. I can't think of any reason whatsoever to use anything other then large, in that case.

I'm not that familiar with Cubase ASIO Guard as to why it would have small medium and large settings.

But I have read, don't remember where now sorry ,that the Process Buffer Ranger has to do with how data is fed to the CPU. And as I said, the I/O buffer is about feeding data to the sound card

Here's some info that might add to the puzzle...

When I put Vepro on a LogicPro channel and connect to VePro, VePro imposes some latency of its own, as a plugin. it actually does something similar as LogicPro where it uses a very large buffer size if it determines that its not in live mode, otherwise it uses something that is a multiple of Logic's buffer size...but it looks like in this case its not a multiple of the I/O buffer, its a multiple of the Process Buffer Range we have been talking about.

Check out these screenshots where I look at VePro latency while changing the ProcessBufferRange, with 1x multiplier:

small.thumb.jpg.d81d9a1e0f69cee2ad16d0a9cf0edd79.jpgmedium.thumb.jpg.e621d10a9a19bb2773b757f6e8fa34ee.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.e17250d74c633249fae8175dae5a57de.jpg

I also tried changing the I/O Buffer size and VePro doesn't adjust its own latency differently in each case.

So somehow VePro is using the ProcessBufferRange to decide how much of a buffer of time it has to process plugins over on the VePro server..

So, when working with VePro, when its live mode and you are recording an instrument track... then perhaps the SMALL setting would minimize the amount of latency that VePro will introduce as a plugin.

This is kind of a special case. I suppose there could be cases where some other plugins may create different amounts of plugin latency depending on the Process Buffer Range setting. Plugins that don't have any latency, maybe, would not be effected either way?

anyway there is some more info to consider about it...