Quick Punch Audio Dropouts

dogeatdogg

I just hit record via the star key on the numeric pad. Isn't that how you would punch in and out?

Me personally, no, as I do not have an extended keyboard with a numeric keypad.

There are multiple ways to punch in and out you could pun: you could click the Record button to punch in and the Play button to punch out, use the key command "Record" to punch in and the key command "Play" to punch out, or use one of the two key commands "Record Toggle" or "Record/Record Toggle".

If you're using default US key commands then * is "Record/Record Toggle".

Next: is your track R-enabled when you start playback (and before you press the * key)?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David.

I tried each and every possible way as per your previous post. The dropouts of click and audio continue.

This has to be the only DAW that has problems doing something as simple as punching in and out.

This issue has been brought up on multiple threads so I'm not the only one here.

Thanks for the info though. Back to Cubase. :(

What's even more bizarre is that, if the record button and input monitor button are not on and I punch in and out, the solo state of that track turns to solo-safe mode for no apparent reason. I've been combing this forum and there a literally 10's of posts with no answers to this problem.

So I figured it out. It works now but doesn't make any sense.

I record-enable the track, turn on audio monitoring (NOT on the track, but the control bar), press play, and punch in and out using Record key command and I get no dropouts.

If, however, I don't press Play first but hit Record instead and then I try to punch in and out I get the dropouts.

Why would that make a difference whether I press play, then record or record to start out with?

• 2 years later...
On 11/21/2020 at 3:11 AM, David Nahmani said:

Next: is your track R-enabled when you start playback (and before you press the * key)?

HOLY CRAP!!! I wish any of the 50 places online I have searched would have mentioned this.  I've just always used auto record enable for selected track.  It works for me now with record enable turned on explicitly/manually.  I haven't used punch on-the-fly for all the 30 years I have used logic because I had never figured out how to get all the settings correct.  I've just gotten really good at setting up auto-punch.

I'm gonna enjoy using this now. 👍👍👍👍👍😁😁😁😁😁🤯