Comp swiping question

marais

Ok seeing it now.

So I'm not sure how it was before, nor do I understand what you wish there was in lieu of that gap you're pointing at with the arrow?

By using the flex tool and moving take "6" to the left it took out a piece of that take corresponding to the amount of space I dragged it to the left.

So it seems the only way to work around this is to select the whole take "6" each time I use the flex tool.

Or any other take.

I just finished a whole piece with "my method" of comp swiping and cutting out little pieces.

Here is an incomplete screen shot.

But will give you and idea of how many times in general and in how many various takes I search for material.

Do you still think the flex tool can be as efficient?

1494006663_Capturedcran2020-12-0811_24_13.thumb.png.61b6c71e0f66a12eab7b12b27ec082eb.png

By using the flex tool and moving take "6" to the left it took out a piece of that take corresponding to the amount of space I dragged it to the left.

No, it does not take anything out. It just leaves a gap. It's as if you had created a cut at the left edge of the Marquee selection and dragged a region corresponding to the Marquee selection. So you're left with an empty gap.

If you want to move the entire take, then forget about Flex. The whole point of using Flex was to be able to move only sections of a take, not the whole take.

No, it does not take anything out. It just leaves a gap. It's as if you had created a cut at the left edge of the Marquee selection and dragged a region corresponding to the Marquee selection. So you're left with an empty gap.

If you want to move the entire take, then forget about Flex. The whole point of using Flex was to be able to move only sections of a take, not the whole take.

Ok, I understand.

But I what I do, with my system I immediately reject anything (bad sound, ornament, not right dynamic) and thanks to comp swiping listen to any or all of the other takes.

I then edit it in.

I continue in the new take until I find the next fault.

So - If I understood correctly with flex I'll have to decide before how much of the new take I need to use before anything else?

Is this correct?

Otherwise, yes now I'll have a gap that needs to be mended.

My technique the gap is before the part I want to use and therefore I can continue as long as possible.

What do you think?

But I what I do, with my system I immediately reject anything (bad sound, ornament, not right dynamic) and thanks to comp swiping listen to any or all of the other takes.

I then edit it in.

I continue in the new take until I find the next fault.

Then it's probably easier to not use Flex but go back to your early workflow, toggling QSC with a key command (Option-Q), on to swipe, off to move a take left or right.

So - If I understood correctly with flex I'll have to decide before how much of the new take I need to use before anything else?

Is this correct?

The more insight I get into your workflow the more I realize you can just forget about Flex, I don't think it presents any advantages to your workflow.