Final Cut subscription based soon - Logic next?

logness

That would still be an example of you funding something in advance, unspecified, and no surprise you didn't magically get what you wanted. You still paid for something before getting it. That is not an example of demand driving supply. It is true that if they abuse it too far they will lose business in the long run, but still, you're giving away consumer power to the developer in that model, because truthfully most people will not end their subscription, and they know it.

What is the old adage? Its easier to ask forgiveness then to ask permission? Something like that...

In any case, I can say from my part, if they switch to subscription, they will lose me already from the get go... I don't think they will do that though....

Edited by Dewdman42

Did you read what I wrote about capitalistic principles? The reason they did what you asked was not out of the goodness of their heart, it was because they hoped to get paid when they released it.

Your response comes across as overly aggressive here, but I'll respond as I'm not sure you've read/taken my comments as they were intended.

But Logic has been a fairly expensive paid app up until Logic Studio 1 (LP8) and really once in the Logic 4.x days and beyond, I can't say that individuals much shaped the development of Logic.

That is plain wrong.

No it's not. There were just as many people complaining about, say, the sequencer MIDI input bottleneck, but that doesn't mean these things were implemented directly. Like I say, software development is complex, and there are many reasons that go into making decisions about what to develop. My point is that it wasn't much different then, when Logic was a key revenue generator, than now, where it doesn't need to be, in terms of what we were specifically talking about.

Having been on the Logic development train since 1.x, right at the beginning, and have known many of the devs, and have participated in various online Logic communities since the first one continually for getting on for thirty years now, I think I'm in a pretty good position to assess the state of this across the lifespan of Logic. It *was* different in the early days, but it's not so different now (with the free updates model) as it was for, say Logic 4.x, in terms of how people shape development.

[Every software company hoping to sell their software is attempting to do market research and determine what is going to generate sales. If they didn't meet your specific expectations, it could be that your expectations did not line up with enough other people to make the cut..but still..that was a case of not enough demand...so they didn't do it. But other people most certainly DID get what they wanted...as Emagic worked very heard every release cycle to figure what new features would generate sales.

Sure. None of which differs to points I was already making, so I'm not sure why you're using it as an argument against my points. That all factors into the complex priorities of developing commercial software, as I already stated.

I don't think that the Logic team's fairly unique position of not needing Logic to continue to sell and milk the userbase for update revenue

This again also displays your lack of understanding about capitalistic principles in the free market. Milking the user base is exactly what a subscription model will encourage. When they are driven by actual "demand", then the majority of users are getting new features that they want...and they will choose to buy it only when the developer has met their demand.

Again, seems very aggressive and like you're just trying to finding something to argue about. In the above quote, I'm talking about what Logic is now, and has been since the last 7 years or so - no upgrades fees for many years' worth of updates. They haven't had to milk the userbase for revenue, because of Logic's unique position. That is the point I was making. Of course, a hypothetical future of a subscription model is different - I was not referring to a hypothetical future in the above comment your quoted, I was talking about what Logic is now. But thanks for calling me dumb because I don't understand very obvious things. I'm either not communicating properly, or you're reading my comments very different to what I'm talking about.

I am not saying they aren't thinking about it..they very well might be...its good for them! Its not good for us and I'm philosophically opposed...if they switch to that model for LogicPro, I'll be moving on..simple as that. I personally don't think they will, but we'll see.

I completely agree. You seem to have taken my comments as some kind of attack on you, which is not at all what I was doing. I was simply saying that, regardless of the rumours, service revenue is increasingly important to Apple and I'm fairly sure they will have been thinking about it, regardless of what they ultimately decide. I hope they don't go for a subs model.

Anyway, I'm always up for a discussion, but I'm not up for an argument, so I'll leave the rest of the thread to you...

At least in that case you have the OPTION to go either way, you are not required to subscribe. NO idea how m any people are actually doing it, I definitely didn't...and by the way so far I have skipped S1v5 because it didn't provide enough value for me...case in point. Maybe a future version will.