Logic's channel strips in Mainstage

manofra

is it possible to set a tweak a channel strip in Logic to use in Mainstage?

I'm asking because the 'inspector' from Mainstage does not have all the features as the instrument settings in Logic -- especially the midi channel to listen to, which is useful when using a foot controller.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
is it possible to set a tweak a channel strip in Logic to use in Mainstage?

I'm asking because the 'inspector' from Mainstage does not have all the features as the instrument settings in Logic -- especially the midi channel to listen to, which is useful when using a foot controller.

Can you provide more information. I think MainStage can do what you want. GIve me a clearer picture and I can probably work out how to do it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi B_Stone,

Here's what I need: my guitar-to-midi interface requires some serious tweaking in the channel strip, and at times I need more than one to respond to the different patches in different strings. That also inlcudes the "demix by channel" feature.

With Logic I can have a patch/channel strip that responds to specific midi channels, but that is not available in MainStage's interface. So I was wondering if doing the CS setup in Logic will work the same in MS.

Thanks for your help,

Manofra

Hi B_Stone,

Here's what I need: my guitar-to-midi interface requires some serious tweaking in the channel strip, and at times I need more than one to respond to the different patches in different strings. That also inlcudes the "demix by channel" feature.

With Logic I can have a patch/channel strip that responds to specific midi channels, but that is not available in MainStage's interface. So I was wondering if doing the CS setup in Logic will work the same in MS.

Thanks for your help,

Manofra

Ok, I think I understand what you are trying to do. Let me repeat it back in my own words so that we can make sure we're talking about the same thing.

You have two MIDI input sources from the same device, for example:

DEVICE A (Port 1, Channel 1)

DEVICE B (Port 1, Channel 2)

You want to be able to have separate channel strips for each incoming channel.

For example, Channel Strip A is a Synth Bass and Channel Strip B is a Synth Lead.

You want to be able use a single patch to route input on channel 1 to CS A and input from channel 2 to CS B.

This is possible.

Create TWO or more keyboard screen controls in the layout. Select the first of the two keyboard screen controls and in the hardware assignment attributes set it to: (device name) and channel #1. Now select the second keyboard screen control and set it to (device name) and channel #2.

Switch back to Edit mode and select a software instrument channel strip within in a patch. In the left hand side in Channel Strip Inspector, under Key Range, you will see a place to select one of the two keyboard screen controls you have created.

Create a second software instrument channel strip inside this patch and select it. Change its input to listen to the OTHER device you created.

Now you can have two different inputs in a single patch. You can set this up to be the same device on different channels or two completely different devices on different ports and channels.

You can add even more keyboard screen controls if you want to have 1 channel for each string, for example.

I recommend that you switch to layout and scale the size of each keyboard screen control so that they are pretty small. They -have- to be there in order to represent the various MIDI input sources you want to use inside a patch.

Also, you can have multiple software instrument channel strips inside a single patch assigned to the same device which means each incoming MIDI channel inside a patch can play more than a single channel strip which means creative layering options is available on each incoming channel.

Hope this helps and wasn't too confusing..

Hi B_Stone and all,

Thanks for your message. It is really helpful. I'll try that soon and post the result.

I have a midi guitar controller which transmits one string per midi channel. Most times I only use one patch for all strings, but I also want to layer instruments, or simply split the strings -- something basic like having a bass sound in the lower string and a synth lead in the higher.

Because pitch bend data is sent out on channel 1, whenever I have an instrument listening to all channels I get weird bends all over the instrument. The "demix by channel" doesn't quite solve it, so I was considering using the environment to create a multi-timbral instrument, and set the MIDI channels accordingly. If I am then able to transpose this channel strip to MainStage, I would have a customized instrument.

Problem is: I have absolutely no clue as to how to use Environment... :(

Your solution seems a lot simpler, and will probably bring the result I need. I'll try it and post the results. Then I'll put MainStage to a tough test, playing several patches up to 5 channel strips active at any given time. :!:

ManoFra

• 4 months later...