Too many 127s

mikeloretto

I feel like this should be easy and I'm going to be embarrassed when I figure out what the solution is. But...

I'm trying to play a piano part from my new (to me) AKAI MPK49. I'm finding that the velocities are coming in hotter than I would like them to (way too easy to be sending 127). I know some other AKAI controllers have adjustable velocity curves for the keys, but this one doesn't (unless someone knows differently?).

Within Logic, I know there are ways to compress velocity ranges after you've played the part, but is there a way to have that happen in real-time as I play? I'd like to be able to adjust the feel of the instrument so that I can play it comfortably. I've been trying both stock Logic pianos and the Piano One free AU instrument.

So if someone knows -- whether within the controls for my specific MIDI controller or within Logic Pro X -- how I can not be sending 127s like I'm pounding the keys, I would be grateful!

Thanks - I've tried the velocity processor and it seems like that will affect the recorded levels after the fact, but doesn't affect it as I'm playing... or am I not using it right?

In other words, I'm still going to be playing, sending, and recording 127s, but then it will transform those on playback. Is that right?

Here's a screenshot - recorded with the velocity processor on in with the "Make Softer" preset as someone suggested in another forum. Still recording 127s.

velocity-processor.jpg.7af58332502038a079352e1573974c08.jpg

Thanks - I've tried the velocity processor and it seems like that will affect the recorded levels after the fact, but doesn't affect it as I'm playing... or am I not using it right?

If you're inserting it just before the instrument then it affects all MIDI data reaching the instrument, whether played live or played back from the track.

Here's a screenshot - recorded with the velocity processor on in with the "Make Softer" preset as someone suggested in another forum. Still recording 127s.

velocity-processor.jpg

The MIDI data is processed after the track sends it to the MIDI FX section, so while recording it doesn't affect the recorded MIDI notes.

If the notes comes in as 127, there's no way to make those "dynamic" again, you can lower the velocity, but then they all will be e.g. velocity 100 instead...

Yep, you nailed it. Going to have to play as softly as possible until I get a controller w/ a better response.

This situation is just like overdriving a digital recorder: you get a stream of what we programmer-types would call, "MAXINT." You've got to play that keyboard in such a way that it does give you velocity data outputs that aren't 127.

Unfortunately, that is a problem with some otherwise impressive-looking controllers: "the keyboard sucks." Lots of knobs, switches, dials, and percussion-pads which look very impressive in the store and in the catalog, but they took shortcuts on the one very most important thing.

This situation is just like overdriving a digital recorder: you get a stream of what we programmer-types would call, "MAXINT." You've got to play that keyboard in such a way that it does give you velocity data outputs that aren't 127.

Unfortunately, that is a problem with some otherwise impressive-looking controllers: "the keyboard sucks." Lots of knobs, switches, dials, and percussion-pads which look very impressive in the store and in the catalog, but they took shortcuts on the one very most important thing.

And what's even more frustrating is you CAN control the response of the perc pads, just not the keyboard!