"The Garden" - 204kbps VBR MP3

erfmufn

I wrote and recorded this song an age ago when I was learning Logic Express before I started with Pro and now Logic Studio. I always liked the sound and composition but it was interesting going back with everything I know now about EQ, compression and mastering and apply it to a very early mix.

LPH is a good part of that learning process of course!

Its simple but I hope you like it.

http://www.dylan.dragnet.com.au/thegarden.jpg

http://www.dylan.dragnet.com.au/thegarden.mp3

(7.1 megabytes)

* its not a biblical reference by the way ;) its an instrumental composition inspired by the feeling of my garden!

• 2 weeks later...

Dude,

I liked the song the music was nice good vision for the song.

but I am going to be critical on the production. This has NOTHING : ) to do with the musical content in anyway what so ever (and as always mixing is totally subjective) so feel free to tell me to shove it heheheheheheheheh

I hope you dont mind me doing this. I am a sound man by profession its what I do full time so I hope this helps a little in your future productions

The EQ on the guitar was absolutely painful. Now, if you look up the Fletcher munson curve you will find that 1K is that painful area in human hearing. Its the peak in our hearing. Your eq for the guitar just screams of 1k to 2k (especially the string squeeks) Below is a picture of the eq that I set it at after listening to it. some people may feel that its drastic but try it out just for fun and let me know what you think

I hope this helps out a little. Although I have done a lot of ear training in order to mix jazz big bands, ring out monitors, make an instrument jump out in a mix (1K) I still find that beutiful tool in logic (multimeter) wow its great. anyway please keep sending out music the only way to get feedback is from friends. I don tknow where I can post my recording I need to find a place to do that.

I liked everything else. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

448768676_Picture1.png.3c2f7f95abaa684e4d73c119c259d68d.png

1804994787_Picture1.png.cda073f9dc743aec9fad2addd6ecc005.png

Thats fantastic feedback thanks! And totally appreciate it.. you are right about the strings and yep, I see what you mean totally.. and dropping the mid like that should keep it bright but less "twang-gain" (I just made that word up see).

Definitely the kind of feedback I need and especially as I am trying to get a handle on production. Thanks for taking the time to point that out so articulately too!

Cheers

d

• 3 weeks later...
Thats fantastic feedback thanks! And totally appreciate it.. you are right about the strings and yep, I see what you mean totally.. and dropping the mid like that should keep it bright but less "twang-gain" (I just made that word up see).

Definitely the kind of feedback I need and especially as I am trying to get a handle on production. Thanks for taking the time to point that out so articulately too!

Cheers

d

So, upload the EQed version so we can compare.

;)

Yeh I tried to apply that EQ to the guitar track.. and it removed too much of the brightness.. but definitely improved the "harshness" of some of the louder twangs.. so I tried to find a middle ground by keep that mid dropped and add a touch of top end but the guitar tracks "hiss" invariable creeps in to unacceptable levels.. leading me to the ultimate conclusion that I need to re-record the guitar track with proper levels on my new MOTU gear (it was recorded on a cheap m-audio USB preamp).

But if you are still interested the current mix (though unmastered) is here :

www.dylan.dragnet.com.au/Garden.mp3

Thanks all! Appreciate it greatly.

Well I hope you keep writing more music. Post up more stuff. I think we need to get this section of the board more alive... it seems that hardly any of the posts get replies :P

I agree, I love listening to new music all the time. good job on the song, it was nice hearing the effects of that mid-eq.

I'll be posting some stuff up here soon,

Evan

• 2 weeks later...