The Devil's Interval

erfmufn

Sorry,but that's nonsense.

The Lydian is a mode,therefore contains the same intervals in a different order.

The 4th deg of the Lydian to the tonic (upwards) is a dim 5th.

If you construct a scale from the notes of the harmonic series you get the m7th before the Maj 7th.

If you construct a scale by using the first 3 (odd) harmonics of the Tonic,Subdominant and dominant,you get the notes of the major scale.

Constucting in 5ths upwards from the subdominant gives the same.

The model you cite is based on a mode of a mode!?!

Originally,the Aeolian was the norm,hence the alphabetic anomaly.

The relative major became more dominant as the theory became more mathematical,and less intuitive.(The first half of the scale being identical in shape to the second half is extremely recognisable and gives rise to many possibilities with regard to tonality,in an even tempered system).

(Sorry,I'm a bit geeky on harmonics for several reasons.Won't elaborate

:D ).

>The Lydian is a mode,therefore contains the same intervals in a different order.

The 4th deg of the Lydian to the tonic (upwards) is a dim 5th.

Hey, that's just what I said, no?

The point again is that all of the lydian notes align with the circle of 5ths while the major scale has that devil's interval. Lydian has the more basic interval structure, the major ***may*** be the derivative. It is an alternative theory to conventional harmony. I am not endorsing it only citing.

I gave my copy of the Lydian Chromatic Concept by George Russell to my piano tech. As I recall the theory I mentioned does stem from this book....a must for all of us harmony geeks 8)

Augmented is on steroids and diminished is suicidal.

:D

Sorry MidiOpera co,I misinterpreted what you were saying! :oops:

I thought you meant intervals of a fifth were all perfect in the Lydian if played as intervals in a pseudo Gregorian chant sort of way.

The 11th harmonic approximates the subdominant,but is way sharp.

The simple relationship between three 'strings' with the tonic as middle is a more obvious starting point than one based on an already existant scale system,imo.

Certainly would have been easier too,for ancient peeps.

(That is peeps in ancient times,not really old folks now!).

How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?

Only one,but th light bulb has to really want to change.

How many Californians does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to do the changing and the rest to share the experience.

How many surrealists does it take to change a light bulb?

Fish!

Are there any scales that don't have a tritone in the scale some where?

That's a good observation and an equally interesting response from Cloggy. All 7 note scales will have the tritone. It is fundamental to the V-I relationship in diatonic harmony.

How do you get 2 soprano sax players to hit a unison?

Shoot one of 'em.

Are there any scales that don't have a tritone in the scale some where?

Pentatonic!

So that makes Rock very Holy music.

So how many female singers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

One to hold the bulb while the world revolves around them!

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Tri-tones are great but musicians wrote well before the use was "legalized".

the tri-tone has two strong uses:

-the simple melodic interval (sounding the first note and the second) - this is the truly devilish sound.

-the harmonic interval (sounding them together) is where it becomes the essential dissonance - that is a dissonance that requires a harmonic change for proper resolution.

Equal temperament is what started the whole #4/b5. It changes when it actually gets written down. Classical musicians are very concerned with maintaining theoretical accuracy (which means we get into B double flat keys). However, with the lovely tempered scale many writers would simply rework the part of the piece into, for example, A.

also: harmonic theory > scale theory

Greater harmonic theory is basically the biggest musical mind-opening you can get.

• 2 months later...
What has 3 legs and a dick on top. . .

a drum stool

Sorry Senor Mustache, you're disqualified. You can't just drop a joke into this thread without contributing something to the topic. At the very least, please edit your post to assiduously include content that is either anecdotal, banal, masturbatorial, insipid, satanic, willfully contradictory, insidious or just blatantly propaganda.

simpsons theme tune use it heavily, they say the tritone is used to portray mischief :twisted:

That's quite common in Danny Elfman's other works too. Mischievous is a good way to describe many of his scores.