V-Amp + V-Drums + Logic = Fallen Kings

krismuzak

This is a song I recorded with Los Angeles guitarist Joe Walla to try out a new Behringer V-Amp Pro I had just picked up for $149. We used only the V-Amp and my Roland V-Drums going directly into Presonus Firepod firewire interfaces. All the effects and compression are Logic native. Of course, it helps to have a great guitarist like Joe playing. He did all 3 leads in just one take. Let me know what you think! I've enjoyed listening to the other songs posted...

Fallen Kings

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i33/krismuzak/JoeWalla2.jpg

drums sound great man :)

imo you should pan rythm guitars bit more, and put them on less reverb, perhaps through stereo spread.

I have this funky feeling that guitars were not tuned between takes. Either the guy is pressing strings too much, vibrating evil fast, or solo guitar isn't in the same tune as the rythm one. This is the one in first part, later on (with overdriven solo - everything is cool).

Tones are great, I seriously think about buying the same drums synth.

nice job :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments. I don't recall adding any reverb. It was most likely the V-Amp. Joe loves lots of verb and delay and it can be a challenge to get him to turn it down when we are tracking. I've since convinced him it is better to add it later rather than commit. I've also started using a DI box on his guitar and recording it along with the stereo V-Amp tracks so I can choose different guitar sounds when I mix. The Logic Amp simulations are very basic but sound good.

The Roland V-Drums are incredible. I usually run the kick and snare through my ART TUBE PAC pres to warm them up a bit when I track then add a bit of Gold Verb to the set and Space Designer plate verb to the snare and I have decent drum sound in minutes. All the levels are set so I just have to press record and I'm ready to go. They aren't as dynamic as a real set but the versatility and time saved not having to mic, gate, compress, etc. is worth the trade off.

Edited by krismuzak

• 2 weeks later...