Logic Pro 10.7 Released

David Nahmani

I'm still on Catalina and I normally upgrade to the next MacOS when an even newer MacOS arrives. But I might install Big Sur ahead of time to be able to use Logic Pro 10.7. Not so much interested in Dolby Atmos, but more the other enhancements that are present in 10.7.

Is there a list somewhere where I can check software/hardware compatibility for Big Sur on an Intel Mac? I saw the pinned document for M1 compatibility.

Or is pretty much every plugin running smoothly now on Big Sur?

So people on Big Sur (Intel), any show-stoppers still around? Should I upgrade?

No trouble at all here. I say go for it.

Everything else great, and I feel the macOS UI in general is snappier, but freaking my MOTU 1248 is nowhere to be seen by the system. And yes, I've updated firmware, driver, power cycled everything etc. FW update requires ethernet connection, thru which, obviously as the fw upg was successful, I can see the interface, but now MOTU Discovery says 'no devices in USB/TB network' or whatever the actual lingo is. Grrrrrrh.

Edited by darudevil

Such an advanced mix-focused update and we still don’t get basic functions like the ability to move tracks in the mixer and plug-in+I/O search… well, back to the feedback form i guess!

Or create our own colours for tracks and regions (including black/white), something I used a lot in LP9 and missing ever since LPX came along. :roll:

For a company that markets itself on technical innovation so much, the fact that Apple's default position with Logic seems to be endlessly playing 'me too, me too' catchup with Steinberg (usually a year or more in arrears) is something I find quite depressing. Nowadays the only reason I stay with Logic is that I'm too old and set in my ways to want the hassle of learning the quirks of a new DAW.

But to anyone coming new to this game, I'd say choose Cubase. The only advantage I can see of Logic is the price and free updates, when they eventually come along.

apple certainly took forever to discover loop-based music-making, and finally making it easy to do jittery high hats (which is now less of a thing)... but the app is pretty great, and no one person can expect the app to accomodate just their specific needs.

there's always room for improvement (check out the excellent suggestions on the thread on this very forum).

i've worked in pro tools, played with live, and what i realize is... whatever tool you choose to use, you get work done. ie windows vs mac os, cubase vs logic. it really doesn't matter...

I'm still on Catalina and I normally upgrade to the next MacOS when an even newer MacOS arrives. But I might install Big Sur ahead of time to be able to use Logic Pro 10.7. Not so much interested in Dolby Atmos, but more the other enhancements that are present in 10.7.

Is there a list somewhere where I can check software/hardware compatibility for Big Sur on an Intel Mac? I saw the pinned document for M1 compatibility.

monterey drops on the 25th, so big sur has been around for a year now; i had no issues with it (with my many 3rd-party apps), and everything is great on monterey. all this on an intel mac.

monterey drops on the 25th, so big sur has been around for a year now; i had no issues with it (with my many 3rd-party apps), and everything is great on monterey. all this on an intel mac.

Thanks! Sounds like I could go ahead then and update.

Don't feel like checking every manufacturer to see if they're up to speed with Big Sur.

Everything else great, and I feel the macOS UI in general is snappier, but freaking my MOTU 1248 is nowhere to be seen by the system. And yes, I've updated firmware, driver, power cycled everything etc. FW update requires ethernet connection, thru which, obviously as the fw upg was successful, I can see the interface, but now MOTU Discovery says 'no devices in USB/TB network' or whatever the actual lingo is. Grrrrrrh.

Oh no! That's frustrating.

1. Download the latest drivers: https://motu.com/download (apparently there's a new Oct-18 one)

2. Make sure you enable the driver you installed: https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/enabling-motu-drivers-big-sur

I've had the problem a few times with Audio Modeling (SWAM) 6 months ago. And maybe I was mistaken and had the real culprit instantiated in the session. It is sadly, Synthogy Ivory. I've emailed and the development team was kind enough to send me a few beta version updates. Nothing fixes it. I don't really believe it's a logic issue. I had just hoped. It does work if you open Logic under Rosetta - but who wants to do that?

I've had the problem a few times with Audio Modeling (SWAM) 6 months ago. And maybe I was mistaken and had the real culprit instantiated in the session. It is sadly, Synthogy Ivory. I've emailed and the development team was kind enough to send me a few beta version updates. Nothing fixes it. I don't really believe it's a logic issue. I had just hoped. It does work if you open Logic under Rosetta - but who wants to do that?

so, wait; is it M1-ready? otherwise, you'd have to run rosetta 2 for it to work. lots of people here are doing that, as some developers haven't yet created M1 versions of their plugins.

I've run a tremendous number of plugins, including old - certainly not-M1 ready plugins like Sonalksis, Toontracks EZD, (before their recent M1 update), Kontakt player, and many more without switching Logic to Rosetta mode. My understanding is that these plugins run via Rosetta even though Logic, itself isn't. That's worked for me so far. But yeah, Ivory does not have official M1 support. Either way, this isn't really a 10.7 specific thing so I should probably stop hijacking the thread :wink: I had just hoped deep down with 10.7 that it would behave like the other plugs.

I've run a tremendous number of plugins, including old - certainly not-M1 ready plugins like Sonalksis, Toontracks EZD, (before their recent M1 update), Kontakt player, and many more without switching Logic to Rosetta mode. My understanding is that these plugins run via Rosetta even though Logic, itself isn't. That's worked for me so far. But yeah, Ivory does not have official M1 support. Either way, this isn't really a 10.7 specific thing so I should probably stop hijacking the thread :wink: I had just hoped deep down with 10.7 that it would behave like the other plugs.

synthology will hopefully bring M1 support to ivory. and hijack away! (i hijack threads here every day...) 8-)

Oh no! That's frustrating.

1. Download the latest drivers: https://motu.com/download (apparently there's a new Oct-18 one)

2. Make sure you enable the driver you installed: https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/enabling-motu-drivers-big-sur

Thanks D!

Yeah, that must be it, but couldn’t figure out how to make macOS to pop out the ‘blocked’ notification and could find details to get it sorted as I was messing around. MOTU was quick to respond on Twitter, but I’m not in the studio currently, but I’m suspecting this is it, as it has happened before. I’ll let you know once trying your and/or their way.

only big sur? you gotta be joking... not AGAIN apple ¡............ jesus..this guys don't stop .. we have to change change change every year.. to a more bugs every year... for every new system apple releases .. big thumbs down for me ...

Happens to us all sooner or later, I'm still on Logic 10.5 as I can't run anything newer.

You don't *have* to upgrade of course, but if you always want the latest stuff sooner or later you have to upgrade. At least your hardware is capable of running the newer OS's, mine isn't, so that's kinda of a hard no-option limit until I can buy new hardware...

As always with OS upgrades, don't rush in and do it blindly, and make sure you have backups you can easily revert to if necessary.

just updated to bug sur and many of my plugins now don't work.. so i am stuck AGAIN ¡ thank you apple ¡

you really know how to make your customers happy... by the way the new UI looks like crap..

Did you try updating your plugins? By this point all the plugins I own are compatible with Big Sur (FabFilter, UAD, Plugin Alliance, IK Multimedia, Waves, iZotope to name a few) I've been using it for the last 5 months on my personal and my work computer without issues.

Edited by Deif

I'm currently running OS X Catalina. I want to upgrade to Big Sur so I can upgrade to LP 10.7 but I'm using a NI Maschine Mikro MK3 & Komplete Kontrol M32, and NI says using Big Sur with the MK3 can cause huge CPU spikes and cause LP to freeze.

Also, I'm using a Behringer XTouch One and Behringer's site says to hold off.

Anyone else using these units with Big Sur?

Not quite but running a full size X-Touch and Maschine MK3 with no issues.