Change the new white logic project icon!!!

Rasmus Faber

i installed the official 12.1 monterey update yesterday, and today, ALL of my logic projects are showing the correct thumbnail (including projects on my external drive; i even watched some of them instantly change from the generic white to the actual thumbnail).

BUT... saved a new project and... generic white icon(!). a reboot fixes it, an absurd action to have to take. basically... better, but, not really fixed...

I got this problem just after updating Logic from 10.7.1 to 10.7.2 on my MBP running the latest Big Sur. All was fine before updating. I restarted the MBP and now all is well, so far…

the fact that it's happening for people on big sur and monterey suggests it's logic, and not the OS that's the problem. anyway, rebooting seems to set things right, but (for me, anyway), a new project might again have the generic white icon... until i reboot again. sigh

• 2 months later...

Made an account here purely to contribute to this thread. I loved the project thumbnails, now that I’ve settled into a new computer they’ve decided to F off.

Anyway, I tried the trick of editing the plist file inside the Logic app package, sort of a mixed bag. It seems to work at first, but then leads to another problem where neither my audio interface or the integrated mic on my laptop are picked up. They show up in audio settings, but no signal. Every time I open logic with the edited plist I also get some weird message asking if I want to allow Logic to acccess the internet- okay, so it’s a permissions thing triggered by modifying the package, I guess?

The other caveat is somewhat larger. I run Logic in Rosetta mode since it gives me better luck with Kilohearts plugins while waiting for an Apple Silicon update, and as soon as I try running it without Rosetta, I’m greeted with the all too helpful “Logic Pro could not be opened” error. So this fix seems like a dead end. Ugh.

For the sake of adding to the sample size, im running an M1 Pro MBP, both Logic and Monterey are fully updated to 10.7.2 and 12.2.1.

seems to be... fixed (finally); ALL my logic projects show the preview icon, not the generic white box.

am on the latest monterey beta (12.3 beta 4); a good sign for 12.3? will see if it continues to work (but am hopeful).

EDIT: and... just saved a new project, and it's... the generic white icon. re-opened & saved an older project and... generic white icon. so, NOT FIXED. aaargh.

• 3 weeks later...

this... actually seems to be fixed (not sure if it's logic 10.7.3 or OS 12.3... or both). but i haven't seen the genric white icon in days. anyone else?

EDIT: and... nope. saved 2 projects, both show the generic white icon. so... i give up, and won't worry about it, until, some day in the distant future, this works again).

updated to 12.3 yesterday, just checked and it *seems* fixed? even the projects that previously had white icons look to have fixed themselves, and i havent opened those in a while.

and that's just it. they're fine until you open and save something (at least here, and not consistently). try that. then revisit those files in the finder.

i find, with each OS or logic update, the icons are restored. then, when i start working, all hell breaks loose (so to speak, with the icons & quicklook)...

EDIT: this problem is so erratic. a project that had the white icon earlier today, now shows the correct icon, after waking my mac from sleep. opening that project, changing one note, and re-saving it brings it back to the white icon. yikes

updated to 12.3 yesterday, just checked and it *seems* fixed? even the projects that previously had white icons look to have fixed themselves, and i havent opened those in a while.

and that's just it. they're fine until you open and save something (at least here, and not consistently). try that. then revisit those files in the finder.

i find, with each OS or logic update, the icons are restored. then, when i start working, all hell breaks loose (so to speak, with the icons & quicklook)...

no, that’s just my point- they’ve all fixed themselves, and when i open logic and re-save them, the icons are still correct. that was the whole reason i thought to reply.

no, that’s just my point- they’ve all fixed themselves, and when i open logic and re-save them, the icons are still correct. that was the whole reason i thought to reply.

am keeping an eye on it (what choice is there?); if you see any projects return to the white icon, let us know...

Do you mean a white icon with the Logic logo on it, rather than a thumbnail of the project window? Like the left one here:

2090610322_Screenshot2022-03-16at21_32_18.png.39d2c84a6083c0bc4f619e91f6ee8592.png

When I do, say a search of all "logicx" files, the finder search results initially populate the list with white icons, but then the thumbnails are rendered fairly quickly so you see the project window (which is not that helpful, really).

I have a few that don't display the project window - in all cases these either have a broken screenshot when you quicklook on the project (so there is no image to display), or the files are 0 bytes are so broken (I have a few of these, hmm....). So out of a search of 500+ project files, about 7 have a broken thumbnail, and 6 are 0 byte files, and these all display the generic white icon.

I'm sure if I resaved the ones with a broken thumbnail, they'd probably start to work again too...

(Edit - I tried this on the above project, and while the re-saved project gets a new quicklook image, the icon stays the generic one...)

all my files are fine, and have been since this problem first appeared. and, after every OS update (am on the betas, so that's frequent), all logic projects show the correct thumbnail. then, after opening & working on projects, they later show that white icon on the left. and it's erratic, which doesn't help...

with no thumbnail, there's no quicklook preview. to be honest, it's just annoying, and does not disturb my workflow. others may feel differently...

• 2 weeks later...