Region automation won't draw single points anymore

phermann
Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

Hey there,

I changed my computer recently to a MacMini 2020 M1 and upgraded to Logic 10.7.2.

Since I did this, I have trouble drawing in midi automation with the pencil tool. Instead of drawing lots of single points as it used to, it only draws in two points connected by a straight line (thus making it impossible to have a fine tuned automation line). Do any of you have an idea whether this is a bug or whether I can change some setting to get back the "old" way of drawing it in?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Thanks for your quick ideas! In fact I am talking about the controller data.

The automation preferences are on "Hold Option for Stepped Editing". My secondary tool for the piano roll is the pencil. However, I tried holding down Command, Option or both of them whilst trying to draw points but to no avail. It always draws only one straight line.

Also, (I don't know whether this is connected or not), when I try to work on track automation, the automation lines don't move while I drag. It's only once I release the mouse button that the line snaps to the new position (which is pretty annoying when you would like to see what you're doing)

Also, (I don't know whether this is connected or not), when I try to work on track automation, the automation lines don't move while I drag. It's only once I release the mouse button that the line snaps to the new position (which is pretty annoying when you would like to see what you're doing)

Not seeing this here either... are you on an M1 machine? I'm still on Intel, maybe there's a difference...

Edit: Saw you already wrote you're on M1. So I guess that might be the cause. Let's hope the issue gets fixed soon then.

I mainly want to draw in modulation data, although this seems to happen on other controller data as well.

I used the mod wheel to enter the mod data in the first place

Before.thumb.jpg.ec9f83770adef2ee326d09f778355827.jpg

But when I try to fine tune it (with holding command and drawing) I get this (instead of another line of many small steps). It seems to only record the first and the last step and then connects it with a straight line.

After.thumb.jpg.3d93ba9c268654d1610ea9aac85e3239.jpg

I mainly want to draw in modulation data, although this seems to happen on other controller data as well.

I used the mod wheel to enter the mod data in the first place

Before.jpg

But when I try to fine tune it (with holding command and drawing) I get this (instead of another line of many small steps). It seems to only record the first and the last step and then connects it with a straight line.

After.jpg

Seems to work here as well, see attached video, recorded on 2019 MacBook Pro 16'' with Logic 10.7.2

Screen Recording 2021-12-15 at 09.58.14.mp4.zip

Thanks for your quick ideas! In fact I am talking about the controller data.

The automation preferences are on "Hold Option for Stepped Editing". My secondary tool for the piano roll is the pencil. However, I tried holding down Command, Option or both of them whilst trying to draw points but to no avail. It always draws only one straight line.

I have the M1 Max running the latest Monterey and Logic Pro X and can confirm that mine has the same annoying issue. However, I have found that if I hold option whilst dragging the automation point it behaves as you would expect.

Glad to hear someone else is experiencing this! Holding the option key doesn't work for me though...

On trying it again it doesn't really work for me as it selects several points and drags them, so whilst you can see the points moving and the parameters changing it's no use if you just want to adjust one point.

I've submitted it on the apple feedback page, have you done the same? Hopefully the more people that mention it the more apple will take not and come out with a fix.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

• Solution

Copied from the other thread on this subject:

Wait a sec... Found this on discussions.apple.com:

"I found a work-around: The problem seems to arise when have the application BetterSnapTool (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bettersnaptool/id417375580) running (it's a productivity toll that rearranges windows on the screen). This app was been working fine with Logic up until 10.7, but now they seem to clash. When I close this app, Logic behaves as expected."

Maybe that (or a similar app) is the culprit for you as well?

EDIT: Just installed BetterSnapTool , just to check, and indeed the issue happens here as well now.

Edited by polanoid

Copied from the other thread on this subject:

Wait a sec... Found this on discussions.apple.com:

"I found a work-around: The problem seems to arise when have the application BetterSnapTool (https://apps.apple.com/se/app/bettersna ... 5580?mt=12) running (it's a productivity toll that rearranges windows on the screen). This app was been working fine with Logic up until 10.7, but now they seem to clash. When I close this app, Logic behaves as expected."

Maybe that (or a similar app) is the culprit for you as well?

Thanks for this, disabling better snap certainly fixes the glitch with regards to dragging an automation point, but it doesn't seem to fix the drawing issue although that being said I've never done that before so could well be user error.

Which issues do you see without BetterSnapTool running? Please be specific.

When dragging the automation point sometimes it won't move initially and it shows the little dash that I mentioned before then all of a sudden the automation point will snap to the mouse pointer and then move as expected.

As for the drawing of lines in the piano roll, at the moment it only seems to want to draw straight lines for me regardless of whether I have the automation preference set to "hold option for stepped editing" or "hold option for curved editing". However, I've never used this function before so it's likely to be something I'm doing wrong and need to learn how to 'draw' automation rather than just adding points.

When dragging the automation point sometimes it won't move initially and it shows the little dash that I mentioned before then all of a sudden the automation point will snap to the mouse pointer and then move as expected.

Sounds like the normal behavior is you have Snap Automation active?

As for the drawing of lines in the piano roll, at the moment it only seems to want to draw straight lines for me regardless of whether I have the automation preference set to "hold option for stepped editing" or "hold option for curved editing". However, I've never used this function before so it's likely to be something I'm doing wrong and need to learn how to 'draw' automation rather than just adding points.

Are you drawing with the Pencil tool?

It doesn't matter whether snap's enable or not, and it seems to have a mind of its own, sometimes it will do it sometimes not. And yes, trying to draw with the pencil tool :)

It doesn't matter whether snap's enable or not, and it seems to have a mind of its own, sometimes it will do it sometimes not. And yes, trying to draw with the pencil tool :)

It would be great if you could provide videos of what you're doing. Could help to explain what's happening.