Problem saving audio "object" files

Ade

Hi, I'm typing this for my brother and have tried using the search function and can't seem to locate a similar post so here goes.

He has a 40GB hard drive partitioned off into 2 partitions:

Macintosh HD (14.5GB)

Data (25.5GB)

Since he started using Logic he just used the "Save" button each time, saving all his audio and song data files onto the main partition. He's not very computer literate so he's slowly learning how computers work. I've been using them for quite a few years and the logic behind saving files doesn't seem to work with Logic.

I've set up a folder on the Data partition called "Logic Song Data" and have made a new song, recorded a sample (object?) and saved the song file onto the Data partition but the audio files (I believe they're AIF objects) can't be found!

Please can someone explain in basic terms how we can make Logic save the song file and samples into their own folders?

He's got one album saved on the main partition and rough calculations leave me to think this one album is taking up about 7GB. There are loads of samples that aren't being used by the songs but we can't figure out which as they're all just numbers for filenames.

The main aim for me is to be able to figure out somehow which samples are being used by the songs and save them out into a new location so at some point they can be burnt onto CD-ROM and backed up. Then I want to reformat the hard drive and install Logic again from scratch and show him how to organise his files properly and easily.

We've looked through the massive stack of manuals (tree trunks?) and can't seem to figure out anything as they seem so intense.

Please, any help would be extremely valuable, thanks :)

He's using Logic 6.3.1 on an Apple Mac (PowerPC G4)