Microphone volume is too low when recording

ShenA

I have been putting this problem off for a good while, but now I am tired of the procrastination, and just want to get to the bottom of this. There have been plenty of people on here posting about a similar issue to mine, but I still find myself dealing with this problem despite the tips given on other users ' posts.

Simply put, the volume output produced by my microphone is way too low. I find myself having to boost the gain numerous times just to get my vocals on competitive ground with other tracks, and even then, the waveform still seems to be unusually reduced. The waveform doesn't get reduced when I record through my MacBook microphone, in fact it appears to be a lot more dynamic, so why does this happen when I record through my mic? Is there a problem with the microphone itself, the interface, the cable, or am I doing something wrong?

I am still in the beginning stages of my musical journey, so I don't yet have the knowledge to know where this issue is stemming from, but hopefully y'all can point me in the right direction.

My equipment: AKG P220 Microphone, NI Komplete Audio 2 Interface, Basic XLR Cable, Logic Pro Version 10.7.2

1458769997_Screenshot2.thumb.png.5da3e5e444950f6383e701c0836898f9.png

Logic does literally nothing to the level of a recording, so the problem lies in either the mic or the interface. Have you tried another mic ? Have you tried the other input ?

I have tried a different mic before in the past, and the same problem occurs. I just tried input 2, and the same thing is still happening; the wave form just looks like a straight line most of the time, unless I zoom up on it.

SS.thumb.png.dd8b8fd900d3d9f45a483468d86a3acb.png

What are your interface meters reading? Have you tried increasing the input gain there?

The interface meters seem to be responding normally to my voice, and I have increased the gain on the interface itself, but that doesn't seem to help all that much when it comes to attaining a normal waveform on Logic.

Did you check if there's a pad engaged on your interface? Did you select Line or instrument?

Any interface with gain at 5'o'clock for a condenser mic should clip the input.

There shouldn't be any pad engaged on the interface. I have Line selected most of the time, but the problem persists even when I switch to Inst.

Do you have access to another interface to try? (from a friend?) OR try your microphone at a friends place with their interface? I am sure this is not a Logic issue. Either an interface or microphone problem/setting.

Yeah I unfortunately don't have another interface to try this out on.

I have Line selected most of the time, but the problem persists even when I switch to Inst.

It should be Line for microphones.

How close are you singing to the mic? Are you right on it?

Having the gain at 5 o'clock should make the mic clip.

I find myself singing closer to it most of the time. I can have the gain maxed out on the interface, but even then the signal seems to peak at around -21 db. I have to add additional gain in Logic in order to exceed that limit.

Something is not right.

Condenser mic and maxed out gain on interface should give you more than that.

Maybe that interface doesn't have enough gain for your needs.

I doubt that; I've seen people people on YouTube who have gotten normal results using the same interface I have, I'm just trying to figure out where exactly I am going wrong, because this shouldn't be happening.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have the same problem here. Even worse. 
Yesterday testing things I moved my audio interface to other computer and worked. So I discard the problem with interface. 

I came back to my desktop and connect the interface to a different USB port. Worked. 
Bur Today, the same problem again. So maybe it s related to any conflict or configuration between OS and Audio Interface. 

Some of my SW doesn t allow me to upgrade to a new OS so I m still using High Sierra. Not sure if this will solve your problem but try to change USB port and restart your mac. 

hope it helps. 

Could be something or nothing but I recently bought a new interface and had low recording levels. 

I was directed to open the Audio MIDI Setup app (in the Mac) and discovered the settings had reset. Pushing them up full solved the issue.

Applications>Utilities>Audio Midi Set Up

Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 11.50.06.png

Edited by fusbur

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Zack Greenberg said:

Hi! same problem here.

everything was working fine until one day it just randomly started giving me a very low input level. any advice?

Hey Zack, 

There are some tips in this topic. Have you already tried all of them?
In my situation I didn't discover why but What worked for me was change the USB port and restart the mac. Update OS is a good too. Hope this helps but you will find some other options in previous messages 🙂