Loop Library Keeps ReIndexing

dishdive503

I have an issue with both Garageband and Logic. A have brand new MacBook Pro 14" M1 running OS 12.1.1, Garageband 10.4.5 & Logic 10.7.2 all the latest.

When I open a new session the loop browser will include many loops, most of which are greyed out. When I run reindex they all disappear (same for the GB and Logic).

I've tried

reinstalling OS

reinstalling logic

re-downloaded the entire library

rebooting

Reindex All Loops

dragging files from the samples from Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple folder into the loop browser.

deleting the index file from the Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index folder.

deleting the database file in Music > Audio Music Apps > Databases

Nothing is working.

Please help

Thanks!

Found it. Deleted it. Rebooted. Sill no loops. Can't reindex. I think my last option is a complete OS rebuild from scratch. If I do that and it still doesn't work I'll be confident this is an issue with the 2021 Macbook 14" M1 and Logic Pro X 10.7.2 & Garageband 10.4.5

There are many other options if you're willing to do some proper troubleshooting and patient enough to wait for suggestions.

Otherwise it's a bit like putting a new engine into your car because you hear a noise when you're driving, and being confident that if that doesn't work, then that means that the issue is with that car model: changing the engine may work, or it may not work. If it works then great although it may have been completely overkill (although with computers, one could argue that if it works, then who cares), but if it doesn't work — then that really doesn't mean anything and perhaps the issue was something else that was not going to be resolved with a clean install in the first place.

Personally, my next troubleshooting step would be to create a new user account on the Mac and try that. If that works great, if that doesn't then there are many more things to try before reinstalling everything, which may be overkill AND at the same time may not resolve your issue anyway.

Hi David,

Thank you for your patience. I'm sorry for my lack of it. I really appreciate your advice and your help very much.

I'm ready to continue down the path.

I created a new user. Both GarageBand and Logic's Loop Library worked in the new user account. However when I go back to the main admin account it doesn't.

What do you think we should do next?

Thanks again!

Hi David,

Thank you for your patience. I'm sorry for my lack of it. I really appreciate your advice and your help very much.

I'm ready to continue down the path.

I created a new user. Both GarageBand and Logic's Loop Library worked in the new user account. However when I go back to the main admin account it doesn't.

What do you think we should do next?

Thanks again!

Great, so then that normally points to a preferences issue. I would try again to trash the preferences, did you follow the different steps precisely, making sure you quit Logic before you trash the preferences files, and then reboot the Mac before you reopen Logic?

Hi David,

I closed logic. Went to the library preference and deleted the file com.apple.logic.pro.cs. Emptied the trash.

Restarted. After restart I launched Logic. I was given the prompt "More Sounds Available" with two option.

One, download more sounds or two, Download Later. I went through this entire cycle twice choosing each option once. When I chose option one, it presented the same list of Sound Library Manger (Screen shot above) with status "installed" but check boxes empty. So I checked all the boxes. I also chose option two. Regardless, with each option the loop library did not reappear and was unable to reindex. Let me know what you think. I feel like we're close. Thanks again for your help. Best, Andy

I'm running out of ideas. In my experience, something that works in a new user account when it doesn't in your regular account is tied with corrupt preferences in your regular account, so if you've thoroughly tested that with Logic preferences, then maybe it could be some kind of apple loops index file in your regular account?

Hi David,

I reinstalled the OS this weekend. I complete wipe. After the reinstall was complete I first loaded logic. I added the entire loop library and had no indexing issues. Everything worked great.

I then installed Garageband and the indexing issue happened.

I then reinstalled the OS and Logic again. This time I did not install Garageband. Logic is working great again. No issues with Loop Library Indexing.

So there must be some sort issue with GarageBand and Logic sharing the Loop Library. I'm stoked to have Logic Loops back but It's bitter sweet because I love having GarageBand as well. I use it to collaborate with other musicians who don't want to bother with Logic. Oh well. Perhaps there will be a fix in the next update whenever that comes.

Thanks again for all your help.

Please let me know if there is some way I can help support your platform. Your help is greatly appreciated,

Best,

Andy

If there is interference between GB and Logic, then you should be able to confirm the problem using a dummy "new user account" without reinstalling anything. Then, you should definitely and immediately post an Apple bug report against both products, detailing exactly how you created the issue and how you knew that you now had one.

(Try it first with a user that is not an administrator, and be sure to specify the user's admin/non-admin status in your reports, because the very first thing that the techs will do with your report is to confirm it. Give them a step-by-step recipe with all the fixin's. Include your MacOS version code from "About This Mac," hardware type, and both product version codes from their respective "About" screens.)

Hi David,

I reinstalled the OS this weekend. I complete wipe. After the reinstall was complete I first loaded logic. I added the entire loop library and had no indexing issues. Everything worked great.

I then installed Garageband and the indexing issue happened.

I then reinstalled the OS and Logic again. This time I did not install Garageband. Logic is working great again. No issues with Loop Library Indexing.

So there must be some sort issue with GarageBand and Logic sharing the Loop Library. I'm stoked to have Logic Loops back but It's bitter sweet because I love having GarageBand as well. I use it to collaborate with other musicians who don't want to bother with Logic. Oh well. Perhaps there will be a fix in the next update whenever that comes.

Thanks again for all your help.

Please let me know if there is some way I can help support your platform. Your help is greatly appreciated,

Best,

Andy

Great! Good to hear you found the culprit. Wow. Yes it does sound like an issue with the way GB indexes the loops vs Logic.

Update. I still have not installed Garageband but last night the issue started happening again.

I was getting into a session using a drum loop and recording bass, guitar etc. and after a couple of hours I went to search for some horn loops and suddenly the content loop library weren't searchable. I went to re=index and then all the loops disappeared.

I closed the session. Opened a new one and they were back.

I closed the new session, went back to the old session, the loops where back but then tried to re-index to see what would happed and they all disappear again.

I'm guessing this bug goes deeper than just an issue with Garageband (no longer installed) and Logic.

I've notified apple hopefully they have a fix in the next update.

• 3 months later...

I have the same or a least a similar issue. All loops disappear from both Apple Loops and all presets disappear from Alchemy. It comes and goes. Everything is typically OK when I start Logic, but after a while they disappear and I need to restart Logic. One way to reproduce the problem is to:

1. Open the Apple Loops sidebar

2. Search for something

3. Delete the search text (so the search bar is empty)

--> Now all lopps are gone

I have this problem on both my MacBook Pro 2019 and my brand new Mac Studio. Same apple id, same google drive account, if that matters.

image (1).png

image.png

18 minutes ago, kbafish said:

1. Open the Apple Loops sidebar

2. Search for something

3. Delete the search text (so the search bar is empty)

--> Now all lopps are gone

That's an odd problem! Same thing if you disable the Instrument button? I wonder if your index file is corrupted somehow. Have you tried to click the "Loop Packs" pop-up menu at the top of the Loop browser, and choose Reindex All Loops?

1 minute ago, kbafish said:

I never moved the loops

Ok then next test would be to create a new user account on your Mac and try to see if you can reproduce the behavior there? If not, then that points to a preference issue and you could try trashing your preferences in the current account - but you'll lose any custom settings you may have made there. 

• 2 weeks later...

sounds exactly like the issue I have.  I've tried just about everything.  I'm going to try another complete system rebuild soon.  Not looking forward to that.  It's a pain.  Other than that I think we just wait and hope Apple has fix someday soon. 

Someone told me to log the bug with apple so they are aware of it.  You should too.  They more people that log it the more likely Apple will fix it.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html