I can't import audio file into Logic Pro X [SOLVED]

Roshana
Go to solution Solved by Roshana,

I have tried for the last half-hour.

I've tried dragging and dropping. I've tried searching from Logic. I've tried File / Import.

I drag the file, and the words "Drag audio files here to create instrument tracks" appear. I let go of the file, and it disappears.

I've tried WAV and MP3.

I've quit and restarted Logic at least three times. I've restarted my computer.

Nothing works.

And by the way, the search function here is useless, because when I search "Import Audio" it ignores the word "audio." When I tried "Can't import audio" it ignored both "can't" and "audio."

I'm at my wit's end.

Anyone? Why can't I do this?

It's an empty project, starting with one audio track.

It's difficult to know exactly what you're doing, but in essence it shouldn't be a complicated procedure - but if depends on where you are dropping the files etc. You should be dragging into the blank arrange area, not the tracks area (ie where it says "drag audio files here to create audio tracks").

Like this:

lpx.thumb.gif.da3528f6b84831a90f68b2c2e974c2ab.gif

what des99 says, above. also... have you tried any other audio files? or the same file into a different project?

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I tried several files of the same song. I tried dragging it onto the track and into the middle area, and over by the tracks area, where it also says, "Drag audio files here to create instrument tracks." I never get the green + sign.

It wouldn't land anywhere, just POOF, disappeared, no matter where I tried to drag it.

I have not tried dragging it into a different project. I'll try that.

I see that the file is an mp3 file. While mp3 import does work in Logic, that file may be protected. Still, mp3 is a distribution format, not a production format. The best is to make sure you get a PCM file (Wav or Aiff) to import into Logic.

But for this file, what happens if you choose File > Import > Audio File and try to import it that way?

Nothing happens. Just tried with a WAV file, and in a different, well-worn Logic project:

File / Import / audiofile.wav / Open.

I click Open a bunch of times. Nothing happens.

Did this yesterday too, in my empty project. Same same.

Thanks, though!

Try copying the audio file to your desktop, then drag it in to Logic from there - does this work?

It does look like Logic is ignoring the drag event, from your video.

What version of Logic is this, and what macOS version are you on?

The behaviour does not look normal, it really shouldn't be this painful for you, so it would be nice to find out what's going on...

have you tried another audio file? you could also try an app like this (free) to convert the original file (even from, say, wav to wav; a 16bit or 24bit wav file should work). there may be something in the original file's metadata keeping it frome being imported. but really, do any other audio files work?

meanwhile:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xld/

i use this app all the time, it's great

have you tried another audio file? you could also try an app like this (free) to convert the original file (even from, say, wav to wav; a 16bit or 24bit wav file should work). there may be something in the original file's metadata keeping it frome being imported. but really, do any other audio files work?

meanwhile:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xld/

i use this app all the time, it's great

Yes, I've tried many audio files. I will try your app. :) Thank you!

• Solution

Thank you so much, my friends, for your many suggestions.

Alas, XLD did not work either.

I did get a fresh copy of the song I wanted to import, and I converted it to AIFF and WAV. They both were accepted by Logic. And for good measure, I imported one of the MP3s I was trying yesterday, and it imported too.

Whew! That was a struggle. Thanks for your help!

Wait, so what was the fix lol? Reading this whole thread all I can gather is:

Not working.

Not working.

Not working.

Not working.

Not working.

Phew! Working!

What changed between the first several attempts at importing wav/aiff/mp3 files not working and the final attempt working?

I know, right? The only thing that worked was getting a fresh version of the song I wanted to import (from YouTube, converted to MP3), then converting it to AIFF in Audition. (I hadn't tried AIFF previously.)

That imported into Logic just like it should, and after importing that one, I was able to import a WAV and the MP3 that I had been trying the day before.

If importing doesn't work, try AIFF. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Similar problem to others on this thread;

I purchased some royalty-free drums samples a while back (wav). Currently using Logic Pro X 10.7.4 and macOS Big Sur 11.7.1

I saved the samples all to my desktop and at first had no problem simply dragging them into Logic. Now they don't seem to drag in. Like Logic won't accept them. Sort of driving me nuts I can't figure out why this might be despite extensive forum surfing.

Any insights?

• 2 weeks later...