piano keys visualiser plug in??

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a FREE AU plugin (or even a midi plugin..) to visualise piano keys on a virtual instrument channel?

I found this thing called 'Midi Keys', but it doesn't work as a plugin and it comes up on my screen about the size of my thumb with no option to resize - kinda hopeless..

f7Yd5De (well, obviously I don't know how to inset an image in a post..! (https://imgur.com/a/f7Yd5De)

it doesn't need to make any sound, it just needs to show the midi data on the track as piano keys being played... (either animated keys or just colours - like the one in the image)

I wouldn't have thought it was such a big ask but I've been trawling all around the internet for the best part of an entire afternoon. I mean, it couldn't be a simpler requirement and I'd be surprised if I was the first musician who has wished for such a thing..? Maybe there's something already on-board Logic??

Anyway, thanks if you can help.

Ha ha! Ok, that is pretty cool.. :D

Only thing is though - still not big enough (I work on a laptop and my eyes ain't what they were..) and can't resize...

Of course, thanks so much for showing me - I will probably use it - and may even be tempted to venture further into the [dreaded] ENVIRONMENT (a place no-one's been for decades, all dusty -and cobwebs hit you in the face when you stumble in there in the dark.. :D)

I know I might sound petulant and ungrateful.. but I'm really hoping to find something with decent graphics and a large display if possible - there must be something?!?

All the same - thanks so much Christian. I appreciate it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 3:57 AM, 江尻 大作 said:

I wanted a same thing to create a Youtube video playing piano, so created a very simple plugin. It just displays what is played. It is resizable. Totally free.

This is a great little utility. Thank you. Should you ever make an update, if possible, please consider scaling the vertical space needed to house the contents of the window as currently my system seems to 'pad' the keyboard image aggressively or squishes it when resizing. I don't mean to complain. It's a super-useful contribution you made for free. I gladly made a donation for your trouble and generosity. Cheers, Nathan (Beat Kitchen School)image.png.91c690c1ca405f6b9568ced53f2bdb14.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2024 at 5:50 PM, 江尻 大作 said:

I just saw your message and made an update. The keyboard height used to be 1/3 of the plugin window height, now the maximum height is fixed to 150 pixels. 

Aloha, this is so cool! Are you willing to share the source code? I've been wanting to get into AU/VST plugin development and this looks like a great place to start. I connect my external V-Drums via USB MIDI and have always wanted a different way to visualize the drum pads being triggered, like drum tabs or waterfall. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 9:45 AM, figureone said:

Aloha, this is so cool! Are you willing to share the source code? I've been wanting to get into AU/VST plugin development and this looks like a great place to start. I connect my external V-Drums via USB MIDI and have always wanted a different way to visualize the drum pads being triggered, like drum tabs or waterfall. Thanks!

The plugin is developed with JUCE framework. I'd suggest learning from their tutorials rather than my source code. It's way better source of information. https://juce.com/learn/tutorials/

• Love 1