SOLVED: Open Environment menu option missing, everything works

jreading

EDIT: Well, I'm a dummy for not searching or seeing the 10.7.3 thread on this. REALLY hope I will still be able to do patch names and custom bank messages with sysex or cc in the future.

-----

The menu option is missing for open environment, but advanced features are enabled and cmd-0 will open the environment.

1689023074_ScreenShot2022-03-30at10_25_11AM.thumb.png.0b59d64c221ff901186fc3ee3ec3e132.png

Very WEIRD! Anyone experience this? I've toggled it on/off, restarted Logic and Computer. Worked earlier today and this now applies to all my projects, including master templates.

Logic 10.7.3

Edited by jreading

Hold Option while opening the window menu, and the Environment option reappears.

As previously reported here, in the update notes, and in the manual, from 10.7.3 they've made the Environment a "Legacy" feature (which means, it's old, unsupported, and hidden by default, like the Legacy plugins). You can of course still use it.

Note: The Environment is a legacy feature and included for compatibility with projects from older versions of Logic Pro.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro/lgcpf755dc51/mac

• Like 1

Well, custom bank messages and bank names have always been terrible (not much development there since Logic 2.x!), and port mapping has coming into the arrange page now...

I think bit by bit some of those things you could only do in the Environment will get modernised and placed elsewhere - for example, I'd like to see a much better custom bank message and patch names interface in the External Instrument plugin...

Well, custom bank messages and bank names have always been terrible (not much development there since Logic 2.x!), and port mapping has coming into the arrange page now...

I think bit by bit some of those things you could only do in the Environment will get modernised and placed elsewhere - for example, I'd like to see a much better custom bank message and patch names interface in the External Instrument plugin...

I can live with that. I use the external instrument plugin often to get access the midi plugins. I really hope it's easily templated if it went that route.

• 5 months later...
24 minutes ago, thencamenow said:

The Option > Window > Open Environment has been completely removed in 10.7.4.

As des99 stated earlier you can hold down the Option key and click the Window menu to choose Open MIDI Environment. 

This was most likely done to avoid bewildering and scaring newer Logic users who may be exploring all the Logic windows, and also to make sure they don't "break" anything - the same way you have to hold down Option in the Finder when clicking the Go menu if you want to access the user library. 

• Like 1

Just now, thencamenow said:

One thing changes but Open Environment doesn't appear.

Just for the sake of clarity, and because I'm assuming we should all experience the same behavior: 

If you:

1. Click the Window menu,
  2. Press and hold down Option, then you will NOT see it.

However if you:

1. Press and hold down Option,
  2. While holding down Option, click the Window menu, then you WILL see it. 

Yep - it's the same concept as other legacy features in Logic, for example the legacy plugins - you hold down the modifier, *then* click to open the menu, and the legacy items are now shown in the menu and are accessible - it's consistent in that regard.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, des99 said:

I meant consistent in terms of how Logic implements accessing it's legacy features, not how other apps work...

Oh no I know, I understand what you said. I guess I'm a sucker for consistency across the board: I wish Logic's interface would be consistent with the behavior I'm experiencing on the Mac as a whole, in other apps, but I understand that sometimes it may not be possible (or too complicated) for the devs to achieve this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

Oh no I know, I understand what you said. I guess I'm a sucker for consistency across the board: I wish Logic's interface would be consistent with the behavior I'm experiencing on the Mac as a whole, in other apps, but I understand that sometimes it may not be possible (or too complicated) for the devs to achieve this. 

FYI: in 10.5 it's always visible. :)

• Like 1