Every sidechain plug-in being bypassed during Low Latency Monitoring Mode

tibellus

Hi!

I've been trying to find a topic on this in the forum, but didn't, so I hope this is not a re-post.

My problem is that when I want to record something in Low Latency Mode, Logic turns off ALL the plugins in the mix that have sidechain inputs. This is very disturbing, especially when producing EDM or something with hard sidechain and you're kind of relying on the "sidechain groove" for your performance, and letting the sidechain plugins be bypassed makes the output level unbearable. Why not just turn off plugins with sidechain inputs only on the record enabled tracks?

Do any of you guys have the same problem?

I really appreciate any help on this.

• Logic 10.7.3
  • Big Sur 11.6
  • Mac Mini M1 2020

Thanks!

I can confirm that all side-chains in the entire song appear to be bypassed when Low Latency monitoring mode is active in 10.6.3.

This doesn’t happen in 10.6.1 (assuming correct behavior) so I bet this was part of the side chain “improvements” that came in 10.6.2.

You might want to put this in the Bugs forum so people can keep track of when/if it’s ever fixed.

Tested with Waves C6 and side-chains from audio and instruments. Tested with complex projects and empty projects. Also, it wasn’t disabled due to latency, as the instance stays active and adds only 1.3ms. Works fine outside of Low Latency mode.

Sunbrother,

Thank you for your response and that you took your time to test it yourself. It's interesting this didn't happen in 10.6.1, and strange that they updated Logic to implement improvements and then this "improvement" happened. Also interesting you say it doesn't seem to have to do with latency. I will post my question in the bugs forum, good idea.

Cheers

Hi ansolas,

The problem is not directly related to latency-inducing plugins. A compressor with look-ahead (which of course induces latency) but without sidechain input, works fine during LLM. But as soon as there is sidechain involved, Logic decides to disable it.

Hi ansolas,

The problem is not directly related to latency-inducing plugins. A compressor with look-ahead (which of course induces latency) but without sidechain input, works fine during LLM. But as soon as there is sidechain involved, Logic decides to disable it.

Yeh it is indirect :) but anyways if there is no latency there is nothing to compensate, hence nothing can break

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same problem: Low-latency mode disables any channels that receive side-chain input, regardless of whether or not the plugins on the affected channels induce any latency.

I'm experiencing this problem in a situation where none of the plugins involved induce any latency at all, and still Logic disables the respective channels in low-latency mode.

If you're using MIDI-controlled effects (see screenshot), you're losing the entire channel output in low-latency mode, which is extremely annoying. As you can see in the screenshot, I'm using Bass XXL (like RBass, just better) on my bass line, where the focus frequency is controlled by the MIDI track and the actual audio from the bass track comes in via side-chain. And of course the output of the bass track is consequently turned off. Now when I turn on LLM, I'm suddenly left without any bass. So it's basically impossible to use MIDI-controlled effects and keep them playing in LLM, even if the plugins involved induce no latency at all.

Is there anything I can do about this? Why is it this way?

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 12.22.33.png

• 4 weeks later...