Option Drag to copy not working in 10.7 [SOLVED]

christo456
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi,

Its been a long time since i needed this forum. I recently upgraded to a new M1 mac from my old Imac and downloaded the test version of Logic 10.7.3 onto the new machine and have been setting up all my plug-ins and libraries for the past few weeks. Today I decided to start my first real project and notice that I couldnt do the normal OPTION drag and copy of regions that I have been doing for over 10 years in Logic. Have googled issue and played with setting but still cant just use pointer to select a region and drag/copy it while holding down OPTION key, I'm releasing the mouse key first as usaul when option copying but each time i do this the region just moves like a normal drag and the orignal region is not where it was. Would appreciate any help, Thanks.

Hi David, Good to see you still helping out with solving Logic Issues all these years later.

So, When i drag the region with option held down it doesn't immediately say Copy Region but says Move Region and then flickers between the two options . When it seems settled on Copy region ( shown in your screen shot) I unlclick the mouse to copy the region but the region doesn't copy it just just moves.

Chris

Hi David, Good to see you still helping out with solving Logic Issues all these years later.

So, When i drag the region with option held down it doesn't immediately say Copy Region but says Move Region and then flickers between the two options . When it seems settled on Copy region ( shown in your screen shot) I unlclick the mouse to copy the region but the region doesn't copy it just just moves.

Chris

Do you have a faulty 'option' button maybe? Try the other one on the other side of the space bar. Also: aren't you releasing the 'option' button too early? Before the mouse button release? Keep the 'option' button pressed.

• Solution

Chris

It does sound like a wonky keyboard perhaps? Try this:

Apple Menu > System Preferences > Accessibility :: Keyboard :: Accessibility Keyboard :: ✓ Enable Accessibility Keyboard

Now in the Accessibility Keyboard window, click the ⌥ key (Option) and just drag the region with your pointer:

accessibility-keyboard.gif.2bbd424d3e1c63678a120c0a2937210c.gif

Thanks for your help guys, you were right my keyboard was the issue. Strangely that keyboard works fine on my other older version of logic x on my old imac. Something about the new computer and new version of logic doesn’t like the keyboard.

If I can ask one or two more questions while I have your attention…….

1. In setting up my new version of logic on my new M1 Mac I have been creating a brand new songwriting production template. I was wondering with all the advances in the last decade if having sends/routes to verb and delays during tracking still caused latency. When setting up tracks in my template a couple of midi instruments have created sends. Should I delete these for recording purposes and use low latency mode whenever recording?

2. Next question, I’m thinking of buying Sooth 2 on sale this Easter but it still uses Rosetta 2 . If I download and use it will all my logic, waves and other plugins have to go through Rosetta too (slowing things down) or will just Soothe 2 use Rosetta. I’m not keen to start off my new Mac with band aid style programs that could cause issues down the track. I guess I could always pay now and download later in year when M1 version is released.

Thank you for your kind support.

Chris

If I can ask one or two more questions while I have your attention

Hi Chris,

You can definitely ask as many more questions as you wish, however please do start a new topic for each new question you ask, so that we can keep things organized by title for search indexing and humans browsing the forum. Thanks! Don't hesitate to just create two new topic, and copy/paste each question in each new topic, with a descriptive topic title for each.

• 2 years later...

Apparently as of April 2024, Apple Creative Media phone support says this feature is no longer available, the updated version of Logic no longer supports that shortcut. As in Option drag doesn’t create a midi region. Crazy eh? NICE TO GO BACKWARDS in technology!  Shame on you Apple

24 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Apple Creative Media phone support says this feature is no longer available, the updated version of Logic no longer supports that shortcut. As in Option drag doesn’t create a midi region.

You can still Option + drag to copy a region of any kind in Logic Pro 10.8.1.

step-input.gif

• Like 1

Talking about a drummer track to a midi track…..by pressing option and clicking on the region of the drummer track, drag down to a new software track, (with the same drummer kit) and converts to  a midi track…..could do it in older version of logic, but apparently now, (was on the tech support with apple for 40 minutes) they admitted, oops, now you can't with the latest version of logic….just saying…..

4 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Talking about a drummer track to a midi track…..by pressing option and clicking on the region of the drummer track,

Ok that behavior has changed, because now you can have drummer regions on a MIDI track. That's  a new feature.

You can still Control + click the drummer region and choose Convert > Convert to MIDI region. 

step-input.gif