Revert to previous version??

rekloos
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Did not make a copy. I was hoping for a way to download 10.7.3 and install it. 

All updates have been solid up until now. Mixing a couple of songs and one keeps giving me crackles in some spots when bouncing, can't figure out why, and the other has an issue with one of the Unfiltered plugin which is kinda crucial.

But, overall, I've had other strange behavior with this last version, just lil things you noticed here and there. Honestly, from my perspective, it's been the shitiest update in a while....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rekloos said:

Apple doesn't allow previous version download on the App Store with current operating systems.

Hence the good habit of making a copy of the app until disaster strikes and you can revert.

1 minute ago, triplets said:

Apple doesn't allow previous version download on the App Store with current operating systems.

Hence the good habit of making a copy of the app until disaster strikes and you can revert.

Guess i gotta start doing it again...Got spoiled with the good updates and forgot about it.

17 minutes ago, rekloos said:

All updates have been solid up until now. Mixing a couple of songs and one

keeps giving me crackles in some spots when bouncing, can't figure out why,

and the other has an issue with one of the Unfiltered plugin which is kinda crucial.

But, overall, I've had other strange behavior with this last version, just lil things

you noticed here and there. Honestly, from my perspective, it's been the shitiest

update in a while....

have you done any troubleshooting?

ie deleting logic preferences. rebooting in safe mode.

making sure the unfiltered plugin is up-to-date (or reinstalling it).

the bounce you mentioned has crackles? are they in the same places with additional bounces, or randomly-spaced? and have you tried a real-time bounce?

not sure what 'strange behavior' is, but... might be worth trying to sort these things out, so, again, when the next update comes, you're ready...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/12/2022 at 4:33 PM, rekloos said:

Is it possible to go back a version? 10.7.4 gave a sleuth of issues with some projects and would like to go back to 10.7.3.

I'm in the same boat. If anyone's reading this and considering "upgrading" to 10.7.4, then my advice is don't! It's really rubbish that Apple don't give you the option to go back a version.

Edited by DiBosco

Just keep a copy of the older app version until you're sure you won't want to go back. Or restore it from your backups. If you want to keep a particular version of a file, or app, just save a copy somewhere, or rename it to include the version number before upgrading. It takes seconds to do, and then you have the power to run whichever version you want, at any time.

18 minutes ago, des99 said:

Just keep a copy of the older app version until you're sure you won't want to go back. Or restore it from your backups. If you want to keep a particular version of a file, or app, just save a copy somewhere, or rename it to include the version number before upgrading. It takes seconds to do, and then you have the power to run whichever version you want, at any time.

Wouldn't have the foggiest how to even do that TBH, but it sounds like good advice. For future reference how do I do that please?

I do regularly back up,  but I back up data, I don't back up applications. Not something I've ever had to do before roll back to a previous version of [any sort of] app.

15 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Please be more specific why you give that advice. I noticed only one or two glitches compared to 10.7.3 and some important fixes, so it wouldn't be wise IMO to recommend not to update.

It's flaky. My most-used third party plug-in stopped working which took down the whole program; took me hours trying to work out which plug-in it was that was borking it and still isn't working. There are so many weird things like when you click on a MIDI note, the editor part of the screen shuts down, the snip tool randomly works then doesn't for no clear reason, it crashes even more than usual, I regularly have to reboot it because it slows down to a snail's pace until you reboot the program. 10.7.3 worked basically OK other than ocassionally just shutting down with no warning.

Edited by DiBosco

• Solution
29 minutes ago, DiBosco said:

Wouldn't have the foggiest how to even do that TBH, but it sounds like good advice. For future reference how do I do that please?

lpx.gif.38daed7ca789cfccfb8160a1551aab80.gif

Copy the app (from the right-click menu, or command-C the command-V. Rename it according to it's version number. Run whichever version of the app you want by double-clicking it.

29 minutes ago, DiBosco said:

I do regularly back up,  but I back up data, I don't back up applications. Not something I've ever had to do before roll back to a previous version of [any sort of] app.

I strongly recommend having system backups, as otherwise, if your computer fails to work or something is broken (or dies), you can't quickly get back up and running without having to basically trash the system and reinstall everything from scratch.

Edited by des99
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, DiBosco said:

It's flaky. My most-used third party plug-in stopped working which took down the whole program; took me hours trying to work out which plug-in it was that was borking it and still isn't working. There are so many weird things like when you click on a MIDI note, the editor part of the screen shuts down, the snip tool randomly works then doesn't for no clear reason, it crashes even more than usual, I regularly have to reboot it because it slows down to a snail's pace until you reboot the program. 10.7.3 worked basically OK other than ocassionally just shutting down with no warning.

Not experiencing any such thing here. I doubt this has to to with the 10.7.4 update,

3 minutes ago, des99 said:

Copy the app (from the right-click menu, or command-C. Rename it according to it's version number. Run whichever version of the app you want by double-clicking it.

Thanks for that. Sorry to be slow, but how do I get to this right click menu thing?

I launch programs with that pop up menu at the bottom of the screen that appears when you hover the mouse over it.  I think you can also launch by using file explorer and clicking on the applications shortcut the left hand side to bring them all up as if they're in a directory. Maybe you can do that and make a copy from there?

OS X, if it isn't obvious, isn't my normal OS and although Linux is still essentially, Unix, just like OS X, I struggle with the desktop, so sorry if I'm asking daft questions! :)

2 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Not experiencing any such thing here. I doubt this has to to with the 10.7.4 update,

I think it has to be, was working fine until I updated to 10.7.4, so I fail to see how it can be anything but. What hardware are you running on? You on Intel still? I'm on ARM, so it's possible it's only crappy on that I suppose!

Edited by DiBosco

2 minutes ago, DiBosco said:

I think it has to be, was working fine until I updated to 10.7.4, so I fail to see how it can be anything but. What hardware are you running on? You on Intel still? I'm on ARM, so it's possible it's crappy on that I suppose.

Just upgraded to an M1 MacBook Pro. Not crappy at all. 

Edited by polanoid

6 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Just upgraded to an M1 MacBook Pro. Not crappy at all. 

Same as me then. I've found a web site that has a copy of 10.7.3 and a friend of mine is still running it apparently, so if the downloaded one is bogus, I'll get him to post me a copy down.

Thanks for the help. :)

Edited by DiBosco

24 minutes ago, DiBosco said:

Sorry to be slow, but how do I get to this right click menu thing?

I don't know what pointing device you are using. With a mouse, you click the right button. With a trackpad, it depends on how you have it configured. Either way, you can also do a control-left click instead of a right-mouse button click, which will give you the same menu, or use the key commands command-C and command-V as an alternative.

25 minutes ago, DiBosco said:

I think it has to be, was working fine until I updated to 10.7.4

I also have zero problems with 10.7.4 (also on ARM), and find it to be better overall than 10.7.3. I also don't recognise the problems you are having, but by all means, try out the previous version and if that's better for you, stick with it...

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, des99 said:

I don't know what pointing device you are using. With a mouse, you click the right button. With a trackpad, it depends on how you have it configured. Either way, you can also do a control-left click instead of a right-mouse button click, which will give you the same menu, or use the key commands command-C and command-V as an alternative.

I was meaning, on that animated GIF thing you posted above, how did you get to that screen. I realise how to right click :D, it was just I couldn't work out how to get to that, but I think it's this:

image.thumb.png.91b94dfdde5123cb89ea4dc823a3a754.png

Edited by DiBosco

One thing I have just sorted is getting Relab plugin working. I have gone back to running in Native mode rather than Rosetta. Rescanned the plugin and it works fine.

I'll try running in native mode and see how it goes, but previously, with 10.7.3 I was finding that as soon as you ran any plugin that needed Rosetta the system and therefore the music would stutter and it became unuseable.

With hindsight I'd've bought an Intel Mac and waited until all this was mature.

9 minutes ago, DiBosco said:

One thing I have just sorted is getting Relab plugin working. I have gone back to running in Native mode rather than Rosetta. Rescanned the plugin and it works fine.

I'll try running in native mode and see how it goes, but previously, with 10.7.3 I was finding that as soon as you ran any plugin that needed Rosetta the system and therefore the music would stutter and it became unuseable.

With hindsight I'd've bought an Intel Mac and waited until all this was mature.

why anyone would buy an intel mac in 2022 is beyond me; silicon is the present (and for some time anyway, the future) for the mac, and you're now future-proofed.

and there are always issues; even for people on intel macs....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DiBosco said:

I was meaning, on that animated GIF thing you posted above, how did you get to that screen. I realise how to right click

Sorry, I was just responding with "how do you get to that right click thing". It's difficult to know what to assume about someone's knowledge. Applications are stored in your Macs applications folder, as you've seen, and that's where your Logic application is.

1 hour ago, DiBosco said:

No problems running Logic natively with a good selection of Rosetta plugins here, including some Relab stuff.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, des99 said:

Sorry, I was just responding with "how do you get to that right click thing". It's difficult to know what to assume about someone's knowledge. Applications are stored in your Macs applications folder, as you've seen, and that's where your Logic application is.

No, it's my fault, my wording was poor. Many thanks for taking the time to help.

• Like 1