Logic Pro being buggy

Origin Man

Desperately hoping someone here can help me. I’ve started experiencing problems with Logic out of nowhere. All of a sudden all of my projects will contain the odd sounds. Not many, but enough that it’s noticeable and really affecting my work. Some of the sounds will be knocking noises, some little blips or a high pitched noise. This came out of nowhere and Logic was working perfectly well before. Weirdly, these noises seem to usually happen on a transient or sudden moment of impact in the song.

I first noticed this after installing a plugin that I payed for from a reputable company. After install I fired up my interface and it made unusual clicking sounds. I uninstalled the plugin but the problem persists.

Everything was working fine until then.

I’ve tried updating Logic and restoring factory reset settings on the interface (Scarlett 6i6) software.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2020 Mac Mini, 16GB RAM | Big Sur 11.6 | Logic 10.7.4

8 minutes ago, des99 said:

In your Logic mixer, when these mystery sounds happen, what channel/s are they occurring on?

They can happen on midi channels or audio channels. It’s hard to isolate the problem because I can hear that a noise will happen during a sudden guitar note, for example, but if I mute a different track (say a midi drum track) the strange noise will disappear from the unrelated guitar track.

They also seem to come out of nowhere. Sometimes the sounds are there and sometimes they are not.

Edited by Origin Man

Do they go away if you choose Logic -> Control Surfaces -> Bypass All Control Surfaces?

You'll likely need to watch you mixer when these happen and try to troubleshooting where they are coming from - they can't be coming from *everywhere*..! ;)

Edited by des99

35 minutes ago, des99 said:

Do they go away if you choose Logic -> Control Surfaces -> Bypass All Control Surfaces?

You'll likely need to watch you mixer when these happen and try to troubleshooting where they are coming from - they can't be coming from *everywhere*..! ;)

I’ll try this - what does this do, exactly?

It temporarily bypasses any control surfaces you might have set up, just in case the culprit is Logic sending random MIDI events to indicate track/meter activity and so on.

It's just a quick way of ruling out some causes of this kind of behaviour.

50 minutes ago, des99 said:

It temporarily bypasses any control surfaces you might have set up, just in case the culprit is Logic sending random MIDI events to indicate track/meter activity and so on.

It's just a quick way of ruling out some causes of this kind of behaviour.

I assume you mean midi controllers etc. I don’t have any of those hooked up but will try it anyway. Thanks!

Not MIDI controllers generally, no, which are not covered by this, but specifically, MIDI (or non-MIDI) "control surfaces".

You may not have any connected, but you may have some defined, and this just rules this out quickly and easily. It's much easier than ask to you open this window, make a screenshot and post it back, then remove this item etc etc just to rule these things out...

Edited by des99

1 hour ago, des99 said:

Not MIDI controllers generally, no, which are not covered by this, but specifically, MIDI (or non-MIDI) "control surfaces".

You may not have any connected, but you may have some defined, and this just rules this out quickly and easily. It's much easier than ask to you open this window, make a screenshot and post it back, then remove this item etc etc just to rule these things out...

Okay thank you!! I will try this when I get a chance…might be tomorrow. I’ll report back!

(I’ve also noticed weird frequencies ringing out etc even when there is no midi playing. Not sure if this could be that but will give your suggestion a try.)

Thanks again!